Host requesting personal e-mail, driver's license copy, and a short term rental agreement - legit?

John1394
Level 1
Brevard, NC

Host requesting personal e-mail, driver's license copy, and a short term rental agreement - legit?

I have stayed at AirBnB's multiple times but my upcoming host is requesting personal e-mail, copy of my driver's license, short term rental agreement.  Is this legit?

17 Replies 17
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not currently ask for ID but am aware I really should.

If this is a long term deal then yes you need a lease agreement, not something AirBnB offers.

UK and US are similar, obviously details are different as they are between States in the US,.

David
Alma73
Level 1
Goodyear, AZ

From my experience. I will always ask for a short term rental agreement whether it's 1 day or 30 days. I also ask for a copy of a drivers license.  I had a guest stay in my house and they robbed me of $3500 of furniture and items. They even took my garbage can, Lol.  I was not compensated whatsoever. Of course this was not ABB it was VRBO.  Trust me, these companies are not looking out for the homeowners they are ONLY  looking out for their own interest and police can't do nothing about it if you have no recourse. If you are a host, be smart and protect your assets. Or like me, you can get robbed and learn from your mistakes. 

Hi Alma,  Have you ever had a guest refuse to sign the Short Term Lease Agreement?   I have a tenant coming Friday but wont send me the signed  Agreement.  It states my Rules and Policies but also asks for emergency contact number, names of guests and our check out policy.    I am giving him one more  day to sign but am thinking of cancelling him?