Host requesting security deposit through paypal

Imran67
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Host requesting security deposit through paypal

Hello.

I have made a reservation and the host has requested a security deposit by PayPal. I understand no payments should be made outside of the AirBNB platform. 

I have come across on other forums using the resolution centre to send a payment as "extra services" for the security deposit. Is this a safe way to do it? Will AirBNB support me if the the host refuses to refund me for example? 

Thanks

9 Replies 9
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Imran67   Most of the online travel agencies (AriBnB, VRBO, etc.) no longer allow a host to charge a security deposit during the booking process, so hosts who require a deposit will ask for it through other means.  PayPal is viewed as a secure method of obtaining those funds, and deposits can be easily returned via PayPal.

If you are uncomfortable with the host requesting payment via PayPal, communicate with the host and ask if the security deposit may be paid through the AirBnB Resolution Center.  Your payment for the rental must be complete before the host may make that online request.  If payment is made for extra services via the AirBnB Resolution Center, and the host does not refund the deposit in a timely fashion, AirBnB should be able to assist you.

If you are very uncomfortable with the host requesting a security deposit, cancel your booking and find another property.  

Imran67
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Lorna170 

Is a payment through the resolution centre as an extra service easily refundable after the stay?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Imran67  Was this off-site payment mentioned in the listing information? Can you post a link to the listing? 

Airbnb actually makes it very difficult and time consuming for hosts to claim on a security deposit, so some hosts do ask for a security deposit off-platform, but this should be mentioned somewhere in the listing info. 

If you pay cash for anything off-platform, and the host refuses to refund it as agreed, you will have no support from Airbnb on that.

Imran67
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Imran67  I did a bit of sleuthing, and while on first glance the listing looks legit, there is definitely no mention of an off-site security deposit anywhere. 

Then I ferreted out something that is highly suspicious. There are 15 reviews on this listing, and when I cross-referenced to see the reviews this host had left for her past guests, none of those guest profiles seem to exist. The only one that does, was the most recent one, from Keith, and there was no review left for him by this host. This is altogether strange. 

When cross-referencing reviews, it would be highly unusual, unheard of, really, for virtually all of the reviews to lead to non-existent guest accounts.

I would pass on this listing if I were you, it could be some kind of scam, or at the very least, seriously question the host about this, as well as why she wants a paypal security deposit and why that isn't mentioned in the listing.

Imran67
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 i am not sure what you looked at but when i click on the photo of every reviewer i can see a profile and also the review the host left.....

@Imran67  Well, that is strange. Maybe it's because you're in the UK and the guest accounts also seem to be in the UK, but I still can't see those guest accounts. And I've always been able to see guest profiles before no matter where in the world they are from. Some kind of weird tech issue, I guess.

As I said, then, other than that, the listing looks fine. Maybe the host had damage before from other guests that she couldn't collect on, therefore collects her own security deposit now. But she is supposed to mention that in the listing info.

And it's a small-time host with only one listing. I've read guest stories before of not being able to get their off-site deposit back, but all those seemed to associated with big property management companies with tons of listings.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Imran67 There is nothing I can see about a security deposit being required so I would suggest you do not pay one and certainly not off platform.

Things could get awkward so make sure any messages are sent using the Airbnb system.

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia