Host requests to Double the agreed & paid price, then ask me to make a new offer instead

Gio30
Level 2
Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong

Host requests to Double the agreed & paid price, then ask me to make a new offer instead

I booked an Apt for this summer in London over a month ago and all was fine.  The host confirmed my booking and I paid 100% already.

Q1) She sent me a message a day after I made the booking advising me that she needs me to sign a Terms and Conditions and a security deposit is required upon check in Is this allowed? I have not signed back the T&C yet, I responded and said I would need to review the T&Cs first.

Q2) Just now she sent me a Change Request and increased the price by 100%. I sent her a message to clarify the situation and this is her reply:

"We have reviewed our rates for the summer and in this particular area that's what most operators are charging. In order for us to meet our bill payments and cover the rental fees, we would need to charge around the new quotes you received. The rental fees are quite high in our area so this is partly the reason why the nightly rate has been increased."

After explaining her "reason" she is asking me to make an counter offer for the new rate. Can she do that? What if i counter offer a new price but she disagrees to that, then who would be responsible for the cancellation? I dont want to re-book another place as there isn't many places left around that area for the period I am staying. 

Help!

14 Replies 14
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Gio30  The first question is she asking for a Security Deposit to be paid direct to her? If so this is not allowed by AirBnB.  Call AIrBnB on this issue immediately if she gives you grief. Did she state in her rules the Rental Agreement was required to be signed and returned? If not it's null and void, don't return it. If it was listed in her rules then you must sign and return it, but not with any money or credit card info for her to charge you off of the AirBnB Platform. All money goes through AirBnB. PERIOD!

She cannot change the price, what you booked at is what you pay, no increases allowed. Decline her request. If she doesn't like it she can cancel and pay all the penalties including her dates being blocked by AirBnB. You DO NOT cancel she has to honor the price you paid. 

You also want to document all this in the AIrBnB messaging if she's texting you. Make screen chots of all texts and don't acccept phone calls from her either. Do everything in the AirnB messaging system. She text respond through AirBnB only. 

Brilliant advise @Letti0. It could be used as a workflow.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gio30  The advice @Letti0 has given to you is correct.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728  Good luck!

Gio30
Level 2

@Letti0

When I made the booking there was no requirement of Security Deposit, I only got alerted about it in one of her messages to me about bringing a credit card upon checkin.  Anyway, I checked her listing again just now for new reservation, she's updated the rule such that Security Deposit will be collected via Airbnb. (Is there any way i can look at the rule at the time of my booking?) I dont know how she is going to collect it from me now as I have already paid the booking in full. 

Also she did not state in her rules that a Rental Agreement was required to be signed, this is still the case in her latest listing. 

@Gio30  Go to your reservation reciept you got immediately after booking. Scroll down to where it says view house rules. It will take you to your itinerary and what the actual rules she had in place were when you booked. AIrBnB will be able to see them also. 

The the rental agreement is null and void, don't sign it or return it. It must have been in her rules when you booked. 

Gio30
Level 2

@Letti0Thanks Letitia, although I am quite sure there was no mentioned of Security Depost when I made the booking...but it is on the receipt, so I take that I overlooked the security deposit requirement, so long it is collected via Airbnb it should be ok right. However, the rental agreement is definitely not there. 

@Gio30   AirBnB does not actually charge you a security deposit. On your reciept if she had a Security Deposit setup with AirBnB at the time of your booking you would see this in her rules:

You must also acknowledge
Security Deposit - if you damage the home, you may be charged up to $XXX 
Gio30
Level 2

@Letti0 Got it! Thanks for explaining!

I agree with @Letitia0

The host can NOT change the terms of her rental after you've booked. Sorry she found out she could make more, but she's the one who set the initial charge for her space.

Make sure all of your communication is done through the inbox so Airbnb can verify her asking you for more money and terms. Don't agree to anything.

She knows if she cancels on you Airbnb will fine her but also block out her dates so she can't book someone else at a higher price.

Let Airbnb straighten it out.

Gio30
Level 2

@Christine615 @Letti0  @Linda108

Thanks all for the advice!

I have taken the advice and declined the price change request and messaged the host and ask her to honour the booking as is or initiate the cancellation. I have also informed Airbnb about the issue, they have done a very good job and contacted the host and explained the security deposit policy. The host has now agreed to honour the booking as is, and will follow the Airbnb policy in relation to Security Deposit, but, one last thing they are still asking is the signing of their T&Cs where some of their points conflict with the ones set out in Airbnb...I have informed Airbnb and am waiting for them to advise/resolve this. 

Will update once I have any news. 

@Gio30 thank you for returning here to update us on your progress!

It is good that the host is backing down from trying to bully you into paying more.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gio30,

Welcome to the Community Center!

Thank you so much for giving us an update. 

Has everything been sorted for you now? 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Gio30
Level 2

@Quincy  

Yes!! It's all been resolved (hopefully!) No separate Rental Agreement!

Thanks all for the advice!

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for the update @Gio30

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen