Host required security deposit

Kelly-And-Dave2
Level 2
Port Angeles, WA

Host required security deposit

So we have our home set with a $100 security deposit.  I have just learned that having a security deposit means absolutely nothing.  Apparently Airbnb doesn't even hold the security deposit from the guest.  If there is damage, they don't automatically give you your security deposit that you have set. 

We had a guest leave their dogs unsupervised and tied up to trees in our beautifully landscaped yard.  They completely destroyed huge portions of the yard. They dug giant holes, destroyed the weed barrier, destroyed plants and more.  It's awful. 

Airbnb said they won't pay me back the security deposit (that is less than the damage) because the host guarantee doesn't cover pets. 

So my questions....what is the point of having a security deposit if you can't claim it when damage occurs?

What is the point of accepting pets if the "host guarantee" doesn't cover damage that occurs by those pets? To us, pets pose the greatest risk to cause damage.  Is there a way around it? We though about actually charging a pet deposit and then refunding it but that is a lot of rigamarole.  We have our pet fee set at $20 per night but that only covers the extra cleaning that is needed after pets and not the damage that could possibly occur. 

We also have a strict pet policy but people don't always abide by it, some people don't even notify us they are traveling with pets. 

I'm at a loss.  If we do not allow dogs, we feel we will lost 50% of our bookings.  We want some way to protect ourselves from damage that can occur.  How do we do that?

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kelly-And-Dave2 I am afraid that the marketing hype of Airbnb's security deposit and insurance policy has, as often happens, misled you as a host. Both have significant issues and should not be relied upon. The only suggestion is to list on a platform that allows you to collect a deposit and/or buy insurance to cover any damage.

@Kelly-And-Dave2  The security deposit is a fiction. At no point is it charged or held on the guest's method of payment. Many hosts, especially newer ones, are unfortunately still unaware of this, and it's indefensible that Airbnb has done nothing to correct the deception. (The Terms of Service describe the deposit system but leave out the part of how it's only activated for bulk property-manager accounts).

What is very explicit even in the summary of the Host Guarantee is that it doesn't cover damage caused by pets. As a dog owner I'm grateful for the willingness of some hosts to accept pets, but I would not even consider permitting them as a host, knowing what you sadly found out too late.

You could raise your pet fee significantly as an offset, but this might result in some pets getting snuck in by unscrupulous guests. Better yet, a more rigorous screening process before booking (no IB) in which you insist on a complete description of the number and size of the pets and the guests' plans, and make sure they line up. And cameras on the entrances and yard to make sure you're aware of what's going on with pets rather than discover the problem when it's too late to enforce your rules.

Just out of curiosity, how did these guests communicate during their request process and check-in? It's hard to imagine that people who are callous and cruel enough to leave their dogs chained up in a stranger's yard all day wouldn't have sent some alarm bells ringing - people this awful aren't fit for human society or for dog ownership. I hope your review has conveyed that well enough.

They did communicate that they were bringing dogs.  They seemed like nice people.  However, the treatment of their pets and my property proved otherwise. I did send them our pet policy..I guess I thought it common sense to not leave dogs tied up to dig.  I guess I had too much faith in pet owners and now have since added a significant amount of common sense wording to my pet policy.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kelly-And-Dave2 so sorry this happened to you. We have similar listings in your part of the world (Quilcene) and so far we haven't had this misfortune, but we know it could happen. Do you list on Vrbo and/or have your own direct booking site? If not I highly recommend doing that. On those platforms you can charge a real deposit, and/or offer guests the option of buying damage insurance. On Airbnb, you must assume that you are providing guests with both travel insurance and damage insurance for "free" and build that cost into your rates.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Kelly-And-Dave2   Your cabin is such a lovely place!  I have never seen a perfect 5.0 rating with 90+ reviews, BTW.  So having such inconsiderate and inhumane people as guests probably hasn't been your usual experience.  Yes the security "deposit" is a misnomer for sure.  

Perhaps it would be best to add a couple of your rules about pets into the things a guest must know during booking.  Doesn't  mean they will read everything, but having a rule about don't leave any pet

unattended inside or outside the house is a good one.

Don't sell yourself or your listing short by not adding a separate pet deposit or even by deleting the pets allowed amenity.  Your place is so lovely and the reviews are exceptional, guests will continue to book.