Host rights to refuse a change in Reservation

Terry64
Level 2
Page, AZ

Host rights to refuse a change in Reservation

I have a Two night Minimum and that works for me. It is my Policy and listed in my profile.

A guest booked two nights in September but now wants only a Single Night? I declined the change and was penalized $50.00

for cancelling the reservation.. In spite of COUNTLESS positive reviews and great Customer service I now am sent a message that my site may be suspended for cancelling a reservation

Trying to get a representitive on the phone  is IMPOSSIBLe on hold for 45 minutes.

This needs to change

Hosts have a life also and should not be penalized for expecting guests to  adhere to the policies outlined

7 Replies 7
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

I agree! I'm in the same situation. Guests shouldn't be able to alter their request if their alteration does not meet the listing's criteria (from 2 nights to 1).

Ken28
Level 10
Newburgh, IN

@Terry64

Why did you cancel the two night reservation? Isn't the host able to reject the change, and then it is up to the guest to cancel if they so desire? (Thus, they get penalized, not you?)

Ursula16
Level 5
Victoria, Australia

You live, you learn. If you advise the guests they cannot stay for one night they can choose to stay with the booking, or cancel it. You have the pre-payment locked in so the guest must take the initiative to make the change. In another situation, I now ask all my guests to cancel their booking requests and make the changes they need, then make a new booking request (this is BEFORE I have approved their request to stay). Airbnb accept few valid reasons for hosts cancelling bookings. Thus, the cancellation remains a stain on your statistics - and that horrible - 'you are at risk message' - is like a red hot poker in your eye. I recently cancelled because I have two listings for the same space and accidently double booked. I was sure I blocked out the days on the second listing, but apparently not. [Though many hosts are reporting their blocked out days are being UNBLOCKED by the airbnb system!] Three minutes later I realised my mistake and cancelled. BOOM! I am now put on notice for being a BAD host 😞

Fiona58
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Similar issue here, too!

The Instant Book system favours the guests and the Airbnb policy machine...  If we could limit Instant Book for even 3 months ahead, that would be immensly helpful.

I had to decline a booking made for New Year 2018(!) The family must've been incredibly prompt to make their booking 1 year in advance.  I was away at the time, and then had to decline the booking as the system will not let me block off dates as unavailable until those same dates are available for guests to book!

This cost my Superhost status, despite a 98% satisfaction rate.

I cannot get any response from Airbnb - it's an impossible task.

My mindset is now that Superhost merely means someone who hasn't upset Airbnb!!!  THere are ways and means to spread the interpretation of what the Superhost tag represents!

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Terry0- You know, I would simply have messaged them that the price for a single night does not come close to covering your expenses and work which is why you have a two-night minimum. But that if they choose to only stay one night that you can certainly accommodate that without any problems but would need to adjust your price. Then go change your settings to allow 1 night, change the reservation and overwrite the automatic price with whatever you want (I'd do the total for 2 nights) and send off. Then change settings back to 2 night min.

And you never, ever cancel from your end. Contact and involve Airbnb in case of problems. It's as easy as that.

Ursula16
Level 5
Victoria, Australia

@Fiona58 You said: " If we could limit Instant Book for even 3 months ahead, that would be immensly helpful." But you can! I decided to try instant book and just set it up. The 3-month option is available to you. BOOKING - look to the top right hand corner of your screen - PRICING / AVAILABILITY - then activate AVAILABILITY. This is a copy of my current settings: # note Booking window: 3 months into the future. #

Reservation preferences
Edit
Advance notice
At least 1 day’s notice

Preparation time
Block 1 night before and after each reservation

Booking window
3 months into the future

Hope this helps!
U

Fiona58
Level 6
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Thanks, Ursula - this is for all bookings, as far as I understand your message.  I was wanting to decrease the time scale for Instant Bookings only.

Meanwhile, I have a Twitter response that says they are not pursuing penalties.  Still waiting to see if this will include the removal of Superhost status.  I worked hard to earn it!!!