Host wants me to cancel and ignores my message

Answered!

Host wants me to cancel and ignores my message

Hi I have a quite bad situation here. I have booked an apartment for March and several days later the host told me the apartment can't be rented anymore and he suggests me to rent somewhere else. He asked me to cancel it and I was gonna do it until I find out I will lose half of the money due to the cancellation policy. He said he will change the policy but apparently it doesn't work for people who have already booked the apartment. So I kindly asked him to cancel, and he just disappeared. I'm aware that you can send cancel request through airbnb and if he doesn't reply within 24 hours then I will get full refund. However he did reply to the request, he canceled my request! And I also sent the complaint to airbnb customer service via airbnb APP and didn't get any response....

So here I am, the host said the apartment isn't available, refused to cancel by himself and still refused my request to cancel. That means I have to go to the apartment which I know will not be available or cancel by myself and lose half of the money?? This is just very unfair to me. In fact I checked the following dates of the apartment and many dates are still booked with much higher price than what I got, so I seriously doubt his explanation.

I have been using airbnb for years and this is my first time dealing with this situation and it is really frustrating to find out that the host can do all this things and there is nothing I can do. If someone sees this, please help me. Thank you!

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call airbnb straight away @Yinuo0 

A host isn't allowed to ask you to cancel if they are not available to host you. (they are doing this to avoid penalties).

Airbnb will be able to see on Airbnb messaging the host asked you to cancel, they will help cancel the booking with no penalties to you, give you a 10% credit and you can ask them to help you find alternative accommodation.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call airbnb straight away @Yinuo0 

A host isn't allowed to ask you to cancel if they are not available to host you. (they are doing this to avoid penalties).

Airbnb will be able to see on Airbnb messaging the host asked you to cancel, they will help cancel the booking with no penalties to you, give you a 10% credit and you can ask them to help you find alternative accommodation.

Thankyou Helen!I have managed to find the  customer service number and talk with them. They were very helpful. Wish you a good new year!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Yinuo0 

I think we have to blame the Corona virus for this one.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You don't know that @Marit-Anne0 

And even if that was the case, the host could have had the courtesy to have explained this to the guest.

And it would have gone through Airbnb as a cancellation under extenuating circumstances.