Host wants me to cancel

K101
Level 2
Toyohashi, Japan

Host wants me to cancel

I booked a room for well into the future (several months), but within 30 minutes, the host sent me a message wanting me to cancel the reservation due to her error in posting the price. I understand her situation, but I don't want to be negatively impacted (i.e., counting against my 3 times in a year) on Airbnb. I imagine she doesn't want to be negatively impacted either, but it was her mistake. Is there a way to cancel the reservation without either of us being impacted?

19 Replies 19
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

A couple of years ago I forgot to increase my prices for Wimbledon (tennis). A guest booked. I hosted the guest and learnt from mistake. 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

When I first started hosting I accidentally priced booking at £20 per night for two people. I sucked it up and learnt from that mistake. We are situated in zone 2, London even for one person that is exceedingly cheap! 

K101
Level 2
Toyohashi, Japan

Yes, @Gordon0 and  @Yadira22, this is what seems like the normal thing to do, especially for a superhost. And I'm already paying the normal price, equivalent to 400USD for 2 nights, so I don't feel I'm completely getting a steal for this tiny flat (even though it is during a major event).

Anyway, based on what I've read here and elsewhere, it seems as though most advice is telling me to have the host cancel if she so chooses to do. Unfortunately, as of the last email exchange, this host seems adamant that I should cancel. Today, the 48hr free cancel expires, so I we'll see what happens.

I should be clear: this is an entire, separate (very small) flat in an apartment block (in which the host owns other units available on Airbnb) that I've booked.

@K101  The host can't insist that you cancel. She has to honor your reservation at the price you booked at or cancel it herself. I really would contact Airbnb to tell them what is going on, this host needs a wake-up call, her behavior isn't professional.

But honestly, if I were a guest, I wouldn't want to stay with a host like this, nor put any money in their pocket, even if the price was half of what she now wants. A stay following a dispute or bad blood between a host and a guest isn't likely to be a good one.

I've already contacted Airbnb, and they told me that she should be the one to cancel. Yes, if the host does decide to let me rent the place at the booked price, it might be awkward if we actually meet, but any retaliatory measures she might take (it's highly doubtful she would), would only make it worse for her.