Host with no reviews. Can I trust? What is reimbursement policy?

Alessio280
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Host with no reviews. Can I trust? What is reimbursement policy?

Hi, 

I see on an announcement for an apartment with a very good price, and with 0 reviews. Also, the host has just joined airbnb. 

How much can I trust this an reserve the stay? What happens in case of fake announcement?

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alessio280 All hosts were  new hosts once. You are taking a higher risk with a new host but equally the properties are usually a bit cheaper to encourage bookings. Provided you are using the proper Airbnb site your money is protected but of course you could still be left in a difficult position if the property is poor quality or if the host totally lets you down.

If you are concerned then strike up a conversation by messaging the host. If you are comfortable with the correspondence then great, if not then don't take the risk and go elsewhere.

What do you mean exactly with your money are protected? Do I get a full refund? Thanks so much

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alessio280 Feel free to put the url of the listing here for people to comment on.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alessio280 looking at the listing it is on Airbnb so your money is protected, Absolute worst case, if the host cancels or the property doesn't exist Airbnb will refund you 100%. The host does not get sent your money until the day after you check in. Only reason you may not get 100% back is if you do not contact Airbnb the minute there is a problem.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alessio280  Communication through the Airbnb messaging system between host and guest is the key to ensuring that everything goes smoothly.

You can click on the "Contact Host" button on a listing to send an Inquiry message to the host, ask any questions you have and get a sense of the host. Sending an Inquiry first is the way to go if you have any doubts about a place. It doesn't commit you in any way. 

There's no reason to simply book a place you aren't sure about without communicating first.