Host won't issue full refund

Jessie215
Level 1
Australia

Host won't issue full refund

I'm actually a guest on airbnb and because of a snap lockdown in Melbourne, I was unable to stay at my airbnb reservation. So I asked the host through Airbnb messaging if I could cancel and get a full refund (as changing dates wasn't really an option for me) which they agreed to, but after cancelling and requestion money they have stopped communicating with me. 

I have asked airbnb for support and provided proof of our agreement but they claim they cannot help me as it's up to the host's discretion.

Honestly this is a con act on the host's part and It is disappointing that airbnb support condone this behavior with people that use their platform

25 Replies 25
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jessie215

Why did you not make yourself familiar with the terms of the cancellation policy that you agreed to when you booked? Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy clearly states "Reservations for stays and Airbnb Experiences made after March 14, 2020 will not be covered under our extenuating circumstances policy, except where the guest or host is currently sick with COVID-19".

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2701/extenuating-circumstances-policy-and-the-coronavirus-covid19

Travel disruptions due to the pandemic are no longer considered unforeseen. It's a risky thing to book travel and accomodations during a pandemic, and one should be prepared for the possibility of disruption of plans, by purchasing the appropriate travel insurance. 

@Colleen253  I posted (look at my response to Louise) at the same time you did- govt. lockdowns which make it impossible for a host to host or a guest to travel ARE covered.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

No they aren't.  Airbnb made this very clear nearly a year ago.   It's a little scary that hosts, let alone guests, aren't absorbing this vital messaging.  No wonder there are so many complaints.  

This underscores that the policy needs to be communicated more forcefully, ASAP!

@Colleen253 Perhaps @Jessie215 chose to ignore a clause that will likely be overridden by Australian law.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Jessie215 Another view (well mine actually) is that it is irrelevant what the EC policy of Airbnb says. Given that Australian law is heavily based on English law it is highly likely that there will exist the concept of a Frustrated Contract. Basically if a host cannot legally host due to an unforeseen circumstance (such as a change in law) then the host (aka Airbnb) have to refund you. I suggest you google the law, speak to Airbnb again and then, if they do not budge, start a small claims court case against Airbnb. 

Others may (will) disagree that it is unforeseen and/or that this law doesn't apply.

Do let us know how you get on

@Mike-And-Jane0  For anyone who didn't spend the last year in a coma, a lockdown in Melbourne was about as "unforeseen" as puddles in Seattle.

@Anonymous Sorry but I can't agree. Lockdowns are possible anywhere (even the USA now) but they are still unforeseen events. The Australian open was happily going ahead with fans in the stadium and suddenly the fans were stopped from going and yet the tournament continued. No one foresaw the loss of just 5 days viewing.

I am sure the tennis folks properly refunded their fans just as hosts should be refunding their guests IF they were not allowed to host them.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jessie215 Lot of missing info. I didn't realize there had been a snap lockdown for the Australian Open. I think anyone planning to travel and attend the only major sporting event that was allowed to have its fans at full capacity is their own responsibility. I always tell the guest to cancel through Airbnb. That host can't cancel guest without penalty. Host would also run the risk of sending funds and having the guest get a refund from ABB. We also don't have a timeline. For example I might agree to a refund but if guest wait a day or two to cancel that's a day or two I could have rebooked it. At any rate I'm sorry the host didn't follow through with their offer, but in general anyone traveling to pack a stadum is so out of touch with reality that I don't think its the host responsibility. So far I've had more last minute cancelations in 2021 than all of 2020. Yesterday a guest wanted to shorten their stay from two nights to one night. At the very least the guest should honor the cancelation agreement. For me I'm dismayed Australia went ahead with the Australian Open with packed stadium. I know they have been the most successful at social distancing but the ABB host seems to be the only one with a shred of common sense and I have to agree with ABB policy on this one regarding the EC policy. In my first year I've had 78 cancelations so I'm not sure how host can be expect to take all the risk and responsibility. I can usually rebook so offer more flexible policy, but I'm not a professional and just doing the best I can and can't always keep up with every change with ABB policy so leave refunds up to them.   

Sorry could have phrased all of that better. Its been a humbling experiece for everyone. This is an isolated event. I think the host could have been acting in good faith but the circumstances changed. All of our events were canceled. Usually we have festivals and runs every week. Even the fund raising events that was the main source of income for the animal rescue groups like Keeper of the Wild were canceled. Almost all of my guest last year, including from Australia, canceled months in advance, but last month have been flooded with last minute cancelatons. "Sorry for the inconvenience" So changed my cancellation policy.  

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

I'm not sympathetic.  It is 2021, the pandemic has existed for a year.--changing rules should not surprise anyone.  I am not judgement like so many others about travel or hosting, but if someone chooses to travel and then further chooses an airbnb not a hotel, and further chooses a strict cancellation policy place, that is all on them.  Don't complain when the host then stands by the policy you agreed to.

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Mark116 agreed. Although it's not part of the EC policy there is and has been for a while an option to cancel penalty free by either the host or guest due to not being able to  travel because of goverment restrictions. I've used it and so have many of my guests during lockdown. I'm guessing this option has passed by many guests and hosts. Surely this option isn't just for UK users???