Hosting Covid 19 Responders

Answered!
Cecilia46
Level 2
Diamond Springs, CA

Hosting Covid 19 Responders

I opted in to host Covid 19 responders. Very quickly I had an instant booking for a guy who said he was a nurse from Florida responding to Covid 19. He said he will have a position at a Sacramento hospital. He also had 4 guests (2 adults/2 children). Perhaps I'm all wrong on this but it seems to me if a Covid 19 responder is getting a hefty discount or free to stay, he/she should not also be bringing his family. I couldn't get any help from Airbnb so I canceled the reservation. 

The next day I had an inquiry from another Covid 19 responder in a nearby town. She wanted to know if I was still hosting at a discount. The stay was to be for her and another guest. 

So my question is, if I give a serious discount to someone who "claims" to be a Covid 19 responder, should they be allowed to bring their family. If so, it seems that the spirit, if not the rules, of hosts offering free stays or discounted stays has been violated.

Also, if there are two people on the reservation, is Airbnb vetting the second guest to make sure that person is also a Covid 19 responder. 

At this point until I get more guidance from Airbnb help, I have opted out. I would love to participate, but I don't want to host someone who is gaming the system.

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

First I will go by Airbnb's "Policy" for hosting first responders/frontline workers, then I will throw in my two cents....

"To host COVID-19 responders on Airbnb, your space needs to be an entire place without any other guests present." To me, this would indicate that the space is to be used solely by the first responder, and not other guest. The whole idea of self isolating, is so that individual does not cross contaminate anyone, especially considering people can be asymptomatic for 14+ days.

"Healthcare staff and first responders must be either affiliated with partner organizations or reviewed by Airbnb prior to check-in. This process helps ensure responders have a COVID-19 work assignment and are familiar with safety protocols. If Airbnb is unable to confirm a guest's COVID-related work prior to check-in, the reservation will be canceled." To me this would indicate that they are handling the tasks of verifying the credentials of first responders. How valid that verification is, I can not say.

Personally, I would decline those that attempt to bring others, including family. Are the scamming you? Maybe. The only way you can verify them, as you said so yourself, is asking for credentials. I am in a hospital daily that is fighting Covid 19. I can detest to the fact that 90% of us working there, are trying to avoid others, especially our families, at all cost. I would love to see my parents right now, but I would not want to risk exposing them. Personally, it surprises me that they are asking to bring additional people. 

I think it is great that you, and everyone else participating in this program are opening their homes to others during this time. Unfortunately, there is always going to be those who abuse the system, and then there is the flawed system itself.  

If possible, try changing your settings on your listing to make it so only one individual can stay. You can also update the verbiage in your listing to reflect that one person rule as well

Stay safe. 

View Best Answer in original post

17 Replies 17

I'm sorry, @Pat271 , I don't know how she was verified. And I'm not sure Airbnb is verifying that they are Covid related first responders.  All I know is that the customer service rep told me she was verified. 

Maybe one of our medical professionals can assist? 

Pamela57
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

I would only book for one responder.  I opted out but my views are over 50% increase which is more than likely due to evictions.  People are looking for a place that does not require a background check.  Getting requests from people who say they are coming from the UK but profile shows they live in the city of the Airbnb.

Linda324
Level 3
Altadena, CA

I offered to host victims displaced from a CA fire. I was sent two women that were not registered within 50 miles of any fire, clearly homeless but not due to any fire. They freebased in my unit and came and went at 2am, 3am etc. ruined finishes in my unit w their solvents, left the gate open to predators  etc. Airbnb responded 2 days after my urgent requests only after I threaten to call the sheriff. 
Boo Hiss. 
I will never participate in their free hosting program again. It is not monitored for host safety.