Hosting and guest cancellation after a day at their choice

Per-Håkon0
Level 1
kbh, Denmark

Hosting and guest cancellation after a day at their choice

Hi

My guest should stay 2 nights which is minimum. He arrived late yesterday and want to leave this morning due to his work on Monday.

after that he cancelled the reservation and I got a mail from Airbnb releasing the dates and saying I will get all rent. Very strange. He request a refund for a day but I can’t rent it out now and all has to be washed and cleaned.

Question. Can he leave a review now when he is not in the calendar anymore and the days released. I fear he will write something negative if I tell him I don’t thing it is fair to request a refund. Would you refund?

Best regards

Per

5 * member

6 Replies 6
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

NO, I would not give a refund unless you want to host this guest again.

It sounds like Airbnb did the right thing by refusing to refund him. You are not responsible for his failure to make adequate travel plans.

He probably will write a negative review no matter what you do, and if you agree to a refund you are admitting some fault on your part.

If his review is vindictive and false it will reflect badly on him.

Thank you for your support. I offered him half a days discount as a courtesy if he comes back as he wrote he would. He just now answered thank you. So we will see.

all the best

Per

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Per-Håkon0  He will get to leave a review at some point. I assume now since his stay is over. Has he asked you for a refund directly? If not,  he might not be expecting one from you at all and is not upset. If he asks you, explain to him what you have told us. Not every guest is an entitled revengeful ***hole. Although sometimes it fees that way. You have fulfilled your responsibility as a host and there is no reason you should be getting a bad review. Hopefully your guest understands. One of my favorite concepts is sunk cost. He intended to spend this money anyway. 

Hi 

Thank you. As seen above it went well offering him a discount next time. I explained as you suggested that my job cleaning etc. is the same after he moved in and that I cannot get a new guest. Apparently it went well. I still wonder if he get the chance for a review based on a cancellation but time will show.

All the best

Per

@Per-Håkon0 If a guest cancels after they check in, they can still review their stay. Stop worrying about a bad review in retaliation for not refunding. You haven’t done anything wrong. Hosts should not let themselves be held hostage by this fear. If you do get a wrongful revenge review, you have the opportunity to respond and ask future guests to consider your many 5 star reviews for an truthful representation of guest experience. 

When someone books with you, they have full knowledge of the terms of the cancellation policy they are agreeing to. It’s part of the contract. Why should you break that contract just to be ‘nice’ or avoid a bad review because of it? 

I certainly wouldn’t encourage a guest like that to come back by offering a discount, with the high likelihood they’ll do the same thing next time. 

Hi Colleen

Thank you. It turned out he never made a review. So no need for me to worry. Thank you for your message.

have a nice day.

per