Hosting for people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)

Heather312
Level 3
Brattleboro, VT

Hosting for people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)

Hello people at airbnb! My name is Heather and I live in a small town in southern Vermont, close to ski resorts and swimming holes, and about two hours from Boston, three and a half from NYC, just over an hour from Bradley International Airport. I recently have opened up an extra room in my four bedroom house when my daughter moved out. I would love to host people, but have chemical sensitivities (moderate to severe, depending on the fragrance or laundry product) and so I am interested in hosting people who also have sensitivities.  Does anyone know if airbnb offers this category of hosting? If not, is it something that could be dveloped? Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year to all. 🙂

Heather E in Brattleboro, VT

23 Replies 23

Me too. Doesn’t take a lot to make my brain feel like a fork in a microwave! 

Here’s hoping we collectively bring attention to the need for more fragrance free and eco safe places to stay when traveling. 

Jennie189
Level 1
Beverly, MA

I have MCS and also would be so grateful to find scent-free, low-chemical accommodations and have had no success. It could be as easy as Airbnb providing it as an item under accessibility. It would be life changing as I, and I'm sure many others, would start going on vacations again.  I also drive from Nova Scotia to Massachusetts regularly and looking for a scent-free airbnb to break up the drive within about an hour of the New Brunswick/Maine border. Either border crossing is fine.  If you host scent free or know of one I'd love to hear.  Thank you

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

The challenge is that 'scent free' is subjective.  Bedding has to be washed in some kind of detergent, dishes are washed in something, bathrooms and kitchens are cleaned with some kind of cleaner and even a 'no scent' cleaner will still  have a scent.  Natural cleaners like vinegar or lemon, have a scent.  Organic cleaners that don't have manufactured chemicals will still have some scent

I just don't see how a host could verify that a property was really scent free with any confidence.

No, I disagree. I have a scent-free rental. It is doable. See below.

I have been hosting a place in Sedona that is primarily conceived for people w/MCS, mold issues, fragrances issues and electrosensitivity:

https://www.vrbo.com/9630568ha
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/53493297?source_impression_id=p3_1655841479_jOMlsws2J%2BLU2q29

One issue is that neither VRBO nor Airbnb or other booking sites, none of them have a section for this category. The second issue is that you will have to cater to this clientele, and the other clientele who does not care. It requires extremely detailed cleaning and make sure that the pillow cases, all bedding and towels will not have any smell residues on it. I posted a reminder in the BA with reference to the AD Bill. Sometimes it is difficult because people are so toxic that they even do not smell their own scented products anymore and keep using them, thinking it is OK. Others just don;t care. I provide all unscented personal care products, as well as unscented Seventh Generation laundry soap and dish soap.

As for the electrosensitivity, we removed the Smart meter, provide wired Internet and no smart device on the whole property. Dirty electricity has been remediated. However, people were so freaking out with the wired Ethernet and no wifi, we finally offered a very small router, that is unplugged and does not pollute the rest of the property, but so clients have options. People are SO addicted to their digital devices, it is so sad.

The bedding is all organic, no off-gassing. All is new, high-quality, coffee is organic, etc..

We spent a lot of money remodeling this rental with natural materials, for luxury items and exceptional decoration.

It is obvious that many clients appreciate it. Alas, still too many "pigs" out there, who have no clue, do not read the description, don't care, don't appreciate, will use their own fragrance, and they are those who complain. Booking sites are not discriminating and that is a shame. Airbnb does not allow rating the clients, which is a prejudice against owners. If they are" smelling the place up", despite policies, rental agreement etc. booking websites and the management company Evolve will not do anything. You will have to throw pillow cases out, towels, because they are so smelly, they cannot be re-used.

I also wish I could market it directly to this specific clientele, but no website/platform exists for that purpose. Airbnb, VRBO, Evolve, etc.  have a long way to go to accommodate those who just don't travel because most rentals are so toxic. and because there is not special section for this increasing particular clientele, so it makes the search difficult.

I HAVE HAD ISSUES WITH FINDING SAFE PLACES SINCE 2014 WHEN I HAD TO FIND A PLACE TO STAY NEAR MY DAUGHTER WHO WAS HAVING HER FIRST BABY (THEIR PLACE WAS TOO TINY TO FIT ME WITH A NEWBORN )  I GOT SO SICK IT RUINED MY ENTIRE STAY AND HAVEN'T STAYED ANYWHERE SINCE.  I DESPERATLEY NEED TO GET AWAY NOW.

I CAN'T TELL FROM THIS THREAD WHETHER OR NOT THAT ISSUE HAS CHANGED.

ANY IDEAS HOW TO SEARCH FOR MCS SAFE LODGING?

THANK YOU,

BARBARA

J308
Level 2
West Menlo Park, CA

Heather,

if you share your contact info we’d love to know more and stay/rent with you when we are in Vermont.

and know a few others interested in chemical free housing.

There is also a new FB group for Environmentally Sensitive Travel.

Katy385
Level 2
Cambridge, MA

Heather- are you listed? I would love to be able to go to VERMONT- I have severe MCS