Hosting for people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)

Heather312
Level 3
Brattleboro, VT

Hosting for people with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities (MCS)

Hello people at airbnb! My name is Heather and I live in a small town in southern Vermont, close to ski resorts and swimming holes, and about two hours from Boston, three and a half from NYC, just over an hour from Bradley International Airport. I recently have opened up an extra room in my four bedroom house when my daughter moved out. I would love to host people, but have chemical sensitivities (moderate to severe, depending on the fragrance or laundry product) and so I am interested in hosting people who also have sensitivities.  Does anyone know if airbnb offers this category of hosting? If not, is it something that could be dveloped? Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year to all. 🙂

Heather E in Brattleboro, VT

23 Replies 23
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Heather312. As Airbnb promotes non-discrimination policy, you should be able to host. You will have to make it explicit in your description and house rules that you're sensitive and to what. 

Unfortunately, on Airbnb there is no special category for people with any sensitivities.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thank you Marzena! Yes, I would need to talk to people, be explicit about what I can and can't handle. Thanks for the info about there not being a special category for people with sensitivities. Maybe we can change that. 🙂 

I look forward to getting the ball rolling.

-Heather

Mary-and-Ben0
Level 7
Boulder, CO

I'm from Brattleboro - lived there 12 years! 

I just gave this feedback to Airbnb -- you can offer similar feedback here, https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

What I said:

"Airbnb is not matching us with the guests who are looking for what we offer. We've had to cancel 10 guests in a row because they did not read the description of the place and were not aware that we're offering premium lodging for chemically sensitive individuals, and they were not prepared to comply with our needs on their end (fragrance free etc.) On the flip, the guests who do (often direly) need us report they have not found us on airbnb, but through other, difficult-to-use-and-rely-on means, like word-of-mouth and Facebook groups. Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice. This is a huge market segment. I am aware that many people have asked you to bring back your search terms feature as this was very helpful to people looking for chemically-sensitive and eco-conscious lodging. another option would be to add a check box for hosts , 'Chemically sensitive, eco-conscious' or the like which would allow the guest to only view properties that are suitable for them. "

Also, just FYI, we are preparing our home to be an EMF Sanctuary which will offer a low/safe EMF environment for the increasing numbers of us who are terribly EMF sensitive. Please let me know if you want to find out more information about our efforts in this regard. Love to all fellow lovers of Earth --

YES! I guess Airbnb is not listening, though.  I need a MCS safe place to stay in CA and can find no way to search for that.  😞

I too would find it really helpful to search using that category. Not easy to find in Maui. I too sent airbnb feedback that it would be helpful to have that search feature.

I saw your posting on a thread about fragrance free AirBnBs.  I have severe MCS, but would like to attend a conference on pesticides April 17-19.  I wonder if you might still offer accommodations in Boulder.  I'm not able to send you a message through the system because there don't appear to be any available dates. 

Liza [surname hidden] (professor at UC Davis)

Just wrote to Airbnb Thank you for putting the link

I do something similar to you in Sedona.

Mary and Beno,

Do you have a link?

We are looking for chemical free lodging in Boulder/Denver area.

jennifer

Jackie457
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Hi I just searched as I am having trouble finding a place and as soon as I start asking even a few questions, the host declines my offer and takes it back. I did not ask to have multiple chemical sensitivities but I feel that I am being discriminated for having a health problem.

I had two very successful stays, one in Brooklyn, New York and the other in Yorkville, Toronto,. I ususally travel with a mask, my inhaler etc. just so I can cope.

But this summer the host we had in Brunswick Maine had mold in the rental. I notice when I turned the fan on in the bathroom and then when we went to get utensils for lunch. Turning the fan off was the easy part.  We left right away and I thought I could just exist in the bedroom which way away from the kithcne but my body was already affected .We had rented this place for three days and after the second night we left. The host told me he had accommodated me by agreeing to wash bedding in unscented laundry detergent which I ordred and had sent to his place and had bought some different cleaners. But the issue was with the mold - he refused to refund me a night's stay so I had to involve airbnb and finally got the one night refunded. That helped with the night we paid somewhere else out of pocket. 

But now I am trying to find a place in Toronto close to where my daughter lives and it is becoming very difficult. I feel like I am a criminal and it is crazy that the host has a decline button but I don't. 

To Heather- we were looking for a place in Brattleboro this very summer. How did I miss your place? Maybe it was out of the town ? 

If there are ways for airbnb to accommodate people without treating them as offenders I would be interested in finding out more.

Jackie

Would you be willing to share with us the place

you liked in Brooklyn?  @Jackie457 

Yes please. And if anyone on this page has any resources for places _anywhere_ for travel I’d be grateful.

My plans are to move back to NYC and find a place that I could host MCS peeps in the future. 

Right now having a place I could stay for a few days - week, would help me in finding a place to call home

Kristina315
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Hi Jackie, 

I live in Yorkville, and while I am not renting out my place, I will keep my ears open for safe options for you. I know how difficult it can be to find something safe. I was curious if you would mind please sharing the rental that you used in Brooklyn? My husband and I are considering a longer term stay  in either NY or LA  while we get treated for mold, Lyme, etc and need a safe rental to live in while we are there. I would appreciate if you would be so kind as to share!

Kristina

Hi Kristina,

I wanted to reach out because I am also dealing with Lyme Disease and mold toxicity, and am desperately looking for a safe space to stay in NY. If you, by some miracle, come across multiple properties during your search, I would be so appreciative for any tips! I will keep you in mind while I continue my hunt as well!

Wishing you all the best,

Sonia

Linda3129
Level 2
Denver, CO

I have the same problem. Mine is a severe fragrance reaction that is beyond an "allergy." It is like my body thinks perfume is tear gas. My nervous system is rocked for days after a bad exposure. Hotels are horrible and the air bnb's often use febreeze, Downy, etc. If anyone has any ideas... Please post them here!! I have just messaged the hosts and asked very detailed questions and have found a few scent free places in Santa Fe New Mexico. It would be so cool to have this as a "tag" or a drop down option to select for searching.