Hosting in Africa

Hosting in Africa

Hi all,

I am currently a host in the UK, but looking to possibly branch into Africa. Can you share with me some of your experiences. Why are the rentals so cheap there?

Vicky

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Vicky290   I don't know anything about African listings, but "cheap" is a relative term. Obviously rentals are going to be more expensive in large North American and European cities than they will be in places less-travelled. Pricing is relative to the economy of the country they are in and the market they are targetting. A host in a country with a lower economy who has a lot of bookings from the nationals of his country is not going to be able to command the same sort of price as a host who has some fancy villa that caters to international travelers. 

A host's costs may be cheaper in many countries, therefore their nightly fee can be lower. Where I live, the going rate for a cleaner is about $5/hour. You'd not be able to pay someone in US or the UK that rate- not only would it be illegal, as it's far below minimum wage, you'd just be laughed at for thinking you could get someone to clean for that. 

And if a country has lower prices in general for things, what might seem like a paltry profit to be making in Glasgow may be quite a good profit in another country.

Also, I think sometimes hosts in 2nd or 3rd world countries may not participate in these Airbnb community forums, and don't realize that hosts in other places consider the "price tips" Airbnb suggests to be insultingly low and pay no attention to them.

Sarah! Thank you so much for responding. Yes that makes sense. 🙂