Hosting in England

Alice-And-Marc1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hosting in England

Hello there this is my first post but I'm looking for some advice. I was just wondering if anybody could help me with the current situation in England in regards to new bookings. I've got a guest that's wanting to stay for two weeks at the end of may he's moving house and there is a gap  between and he's looking for somewhere to stay. Is this allowed. Many thanks 

7 Replies 7
Rebecca1257
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi there, 

I've had several enquiries since the changes to the quarantine restrictions on Monday. Although the new guidelines were confusing, in the end, it became apparent that travel to stay overnight at another place is still not allowed. I found this information in the government documents that were released on Tuesday evening. Holidays are not allowed basically.

I have turned down my guests as I believe that we should continue to follow the guidelines and stop the spread. I've just had a couple wanting to travel from London but it would seem like the wrong thing to do to allow someone from an area with a high concentration of the virus out to the countryside where we don't have very many cases. I can host without even seeing my guests at all but I still feel that it's the wrong thing to do for my community. They will no doubt visit shops and petrol stations etc and could be carrying the virus. 

I think it's irresponsible of Airbnb not to make this clear and continue to prevent bookings. So many people are not taking the time to check what the guidelines are and are now just going out and about and I'm concerned that the last 7 weeks of staying at home will be a waste of time. 

Good luck to all hosts and I hope everyone is staying safe. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1257 I agree with most of what you say but not that Airbnb should prevent bookings. As per my post elsewhere the Gov.uk website makes it clear that key workers can be accommodated. The definition of these workers being wider than the Airbnb Frontline program. Advice fine but not blocking - Its too nanny state for me.

@Alice-And-Marc1 I think your request to book is very interesting. The government has just (today) announced that house sales are now allowed to progress. Does this make it ok to facilitate a move? Its a difficult one!

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I believe that as your place is self contained @Alice-And-Marc1 , you are allowed. If it was me, I would take the booking. Just ensure that you keep 72 hours before any new booking, and that the house is cleaned top to bottom.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alice-And-Marc1 You could also ask for proof that a house sale is involved - That way, if someone did complain, you would be able to prove you were not renting to holidaymakers.

Alice-And-Marc1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Many thanks to all. It is a funny one. I will indeed ask for proof of move. I'm more than happy not to take bookings till the government's restrictions are lifted and it's been a good chance to catch up with maintenance etc anyways.  I've registered for the airbnb key worker scheme and all I've had is a government worker ooking for a holiday enquire.. So I've refused them but this enquiry I feel he indeed needs somewhere to stay and not looking for a holiday. I will mull it over. As you said I don't want to put anybody in the community at risk. Thanks again Marc

Alice-And-Marc1
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Rebecca1257  very helpfully thank you

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alice-And-Marc1 

I have just checked the law in England and you will see below that accommodation CAN be provided for people moving home. Please see below in 4 ii.

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

You are here:

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), a person responsible for carrying on a business consisting of the provision of holiday accommodation, whether in a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartment, home, cottage or bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, must cease to carry on that business during the emergency period.

(4) A person referred to in paragraph (3) may continue to carry on their business and keep any premises used in that business open—

(a)to provide accommodation for any person, who—

(i)is unable to return to their main residence;

(ii)uses that accommodation as their main residence;

(iii)needs accommodation while moving house;

(iv)needs accommodation to attend a funeral;

[F1(aa)to provide accommodation for any person—

(i)who works in one of the critical sectors listed in the guidance titled “Guidance for critical workers who can access schools or educational settings” published by the Cabinet Office and the Department for Education and updated on 5th May 2020, and

(ii)whose need for accommodation is connected to their work;]

(b)to provide accommodation or support services for the homeless,

(c)to host blood donation sessions, or

(d)for any purpose requested by the Secretary of State, or a local authority.

AND THE LATEST AMENDMENT:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020(1) are amended as follows.

(2) In regulation 5(4), after sub-paragraph (a), insert—

“(aa)to provide accommodation for any person—

(i)who works in one of the critical sectors listed in the guidance titled “Guidance for critical workers who can access schools or educational settings” published by the Cabinet Office and the Department for Education and updated on 5th May 2020(2), and

(ii)whose need for accommodation is connected to their work;”.