Hosting in fire season BC

Caron0
Level 1
Lake Country, Canada

Hosting in fire season BC

I have a strict cancellation policy.  I would like to give a partial refund to our guests who wish to cancel  or a credit.  We live in the area and for the past few days the smoke has subsided and the conditions are steadily improving.  Air quality is excellent today.

The threats of evacuation are in other areas  5 hours from here.  They want to cancel because they believe there is a potential threat of evacuation.  This is not true.  If that were the case we would feel a threat to our lives.  

Because I have a strict policy I am not under an obligation to give them a refund.  I would like to ask them to change their dates to when there another suitable time rather than cancel.  I can open up some dates to them.

Caron

**[Personal information hidden]

2 Replies 2
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Caron0 It's a bit unclear what your actual question is. However, I would suggest that given the circumstances, you hold to your cancellation policy, but tell the guest you will refund them the remaining amount if/when you are able to rebook their abandoned dates. They should cancel asap, so that the dates are released for others to book, to increase the chances the dates will be taken.

Jennifer709
Level 2
Hungry Horse, MT

I agree with Colleen. Stick to your policy, have them cancel ASAP and only refund if you are rebooked. 

When people book in the summer, I send a note suggesting travel insurance through a site I found on abb adding note to book a car early since they run out in our area.