Hosting in seasonal high end locations-tips?

Answered!
Joy-And-Alan0
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

Hosting in seasonal high end locations-tips?

We are awaiting our first booking and very interested in hearing about what hosts have found important to have on hand for guests. My guess is that this varies by area. We live in a generally high end beach and artsy community (Martha’s Vineyard) and had good experience renting our entire house during the summer season for several years before moving here full time. We have just listed our second floor of 3 bedrooms, 2 baths both separately and as a suite. Looking for suggestions about what guests have responded well to - toiletries, water, food (light breakfast options) etc. Would also love to hear about hosts’ thoughts on sharing their living space and what has been important for them. Thanks for any feedback!

1 Best Answer
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joy-And-Alan0

House rules: don't over burden people but point out the reallly important things like: how to lock the front door and the importance of turning off air con. Keep it to 3 or 4 key things. If you are not offering breakfast then two things a hospitality tray in each room with a bottled of water, pack of nice biscuits, cereal bars etc - these are rarely used and have a long shelf life. The second thing is a local map pointing out some good places for breakfast. If there are local offers or vouchers available (eg for local tours etc,) then a few of those on the table and just point them out as good value right now...

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joy-And-Alan0

House rules: don't over burden people but point out the reallly important things like: how to lock the front door and the importance of turning off air con. Keep it to 3 or 4 key things. If you are not offering breakfast then two things a hospitality tray in each room with a bottled of water, pack of nice biscuits, cereal bars etc - these are rarely used and have a long shelf life. The second thing is a local map pointing out some good places for breakfast. If there are local offers or vouchers available (eg for local tours etc,) then a few of those on the table and just point them out as good value right now...

Joy-And-Alan0
Level 2

Thank you! Putting your recommendations in place. However, how will guests get to appreciate our hospitality when we have no bookings? We contacted a few folks who used to rent our house before we moved here full time to let them know about our new listings and got some favorable feedback.

Where, how might I post this question to get additional responses- especially from those hosting in competitive high end seasonal US locations?

Madison17
Level 2
Charleston, SC

We have found great success and have gotten a ton of positive feedback from guests about the smart lock we got earlier last Fall. Not only do we love it, but so do our guests. It creates such an ease of access and comfortability for our guests, generates a very smooth process from booking to checking in and even checking out for us with our guests as well. I'm a strong believer in simplicity is key in most circumstances, and this one tool alone as hosts has done just that for us and guests.

It syncs directly to my AirBNB calendar, sends guests emails with key code and instructions as soon as they book a stay, disables codes at time of check out (and accurately lol), and auto updates itself for me. I don't have to do a thing or have to worry about keys or anything myself, it's awesome. 

Here's a link to check it out, I highly recommend it! 

https://www.amazon.com/AirLocking-Smart-Lock-for-AirBNB/dp/B0759NPC5Y/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=airloc...

Joy-And-Alan0
Level 2

Perhaps I am not being clear, but what I need is help in moving some of our 328 viesws to booking- not how to keep people coming back. What on the site inspires people to choose this one? I appreciate how this might work well in other places but Martha’s Vineyard is casual, laid back and looks are not an issue.

One issue may be when I go in as a traveler and do a search with criteria that we meet our listings do not come up. Why? How do I address this problem?

We have been hosted at both rooms and whole house.  We have enjoyed both.  We felt it best if the host asks the guests what they prefer as per entry, greeting, food, etc.

They gave us options. IE. greeting and orientation. Leave us wine and leave us alone. etc.

We felt best cared for when we arrived and there was: a bottle of wine, chunk of cheese, crackers, 2 apples and an insta hot with tea.    If you are on the beach = beach towels labeled for beach would be nice.

Offering breakfast was a great option we chose at an additional cost we paid the host  directly.  It was a big breakfast (nothing hot) but lots of options.  

We liked to have a code key entry and a phone check in. 

We liked a separate entrance but not necessary.

Hope this helps

Once the host had friends for dinner and that was really awkward as we had to talk through their party.  We closed ourselves in our quarters and stayed the night.  Felt really strange.  

Another checked in - gave us advice and answered questions and left us to be - that was great. 

Joy-And-Alan0
Level 2

Thanks for your suggestions. Where do you host?