Hosting longer term stays in BC, Canada

Hosting longer term stays in BC, Canada

I've been a host for a few months and have a my first booking request for a two-month stay.  I'm a little wary of longer stays...the longest we've had guests is 10 days, which has worked well, but I have heard that stays longer than a month can potentially be troublesome.  The lady inquiring is a relative of an acquaintance (so I have a bit of a reference for her), but has no Airbnb reviews.

I'm wondering:

-At what point is a guest considered a tenant (in BC, Canada) and implications of this

-What pros/cons and potential complications there might be with longer stays

-If there are suggestions for policies for cleaning and providing fresh linens during a long-term stay

-If there are good tips for reducing damage to the guesthouse when you don't have regular access or if you can charge an additional cleaning fee to compensate for the deep clean that might need to be done when the guest vacates

TIA!

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Denly0 

Section 1 of the Residential Tenancy Act says:

"tenant" includes:

(a)the estate of a deceased tenant, and

(b)when the context requires, a former or prospective tenant.

There is no definition of a "guest". More importantly, section 4 says:

4 This Act does not apply to:

(c)living accommodation in which the tenant shares bathroom or kitchen facilities with the owner of that accommodation,

(d)living accommodation included with premises that

(i)are primarily occupied for business purposes, and

(ii)are rented under a single agreement,

(e)living accommodation occupied as vacation or travel accommodation,

SO, THERE IS NO CONFUSION BETWEEN A "TENANT" AND A "GUEST"

However, as Mr. Bumble remarked in Oliver Twist, "The law is a(n) ass." I would be extremely reluctant to rent to anyone for more than 30 days, particularly with the COVID-19 situation. I personally will not accept bookings for more than 28 days.

If the "guest" states that she is there for vacation that would be helpful. If she states that she is there because she can't find any other place to live, look out.

The law is generally on the side of the tenant. If a landlord proposes to make someone homeless, for any reason, the court is likely to decide that the landlord should bear the burden of housing this person rather than the State.

Please note that this is my personal opinion, not legal counsel, and that I am not licensed to practice law in British Colombia.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Denly0  Like @Brian2036 I am not an attorney.  There are many, many discussion threads on this forum regarding the long term tenant.  There are also policy and procedural differences on this platform if the length of stay is over 28 days.  I suggest you puruse the discussion threads because much of what you ask is included in these postings.  What I would ask is, are you set up to house another person and be a landlord.  If so, then why not just do that.  Usually you do not have to pay extra occupancy taxes and, if the tenant is a good fit for you, you have little trouble.  Perhaps the best way to decide is to get a real good feeling about the person, and ask for references just like a landlord would.

Thanks @Brian2036 and @Linda108! Very helpful. 

please how do I contact a north American airbnb ambassador phone number

I need one from North America to call me asap my # is ** Lee 

**[Phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lee277  this is a community for hosts  and guests. We can't put you in touch with an Airbnb ambassador .

An airbnb ambassador is a superhost in your country who gets paid a commission to help you set up your listing in your country . Is that what you are looking for help with?

if so you should be invited to connect with one when yoh set up your listing .