Hosting my home / and if I have to cancel (Corona rules).

Andrea619
Level 1
Haarlem, Netherlands

Hosting my home / and if I have to cancel (Corona rules).

As an AirBnB host, I am considering renting out my house for a week next fall and then going abroad for a week myself.

But suppose that just before that moment the Corona-government rules are such that I cannot / may not cross the border.  Then I just have to stay at home and can therefore no longer rent out my own house. I am looking for the Airbnb rules for this situation.

Whether as a host you will be 'punished' in that situation in the form of a bad listing on your profile? 

Or are there any financial consequenties for me in that situation?

thanks! 

5 Replies 5
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Andrea619 Yes you will be penalized if you cancel. See As a host, what penalties apply if I cancel a reservation for a stay? - Airbnb Help Center for details: there is a financial penalty and you will also get the automated review. It's also just not all that nice to cancel on a guest. Covid is no longer considered an extenuating circumstance as it's entirely forseeable at this point that it could disrupt your travel plans. See Extenuating Circumstances Policy and the coronavirus (COVID-19) - Airbnb Help Center for details. 

I would say wait until closer to the date you plan to travel to list your space so you will have a better idea of what the rules will be at that time.

Andrea619
Level 1
Haarlem, Netherlands

Thanks Alexandra!!

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Andrea619,

Welcome to the community!

You will be charged a fee if you cancel a confirmed reservation. Typically, Airbnb deducts that fee from your first payout after the cancellation. The amount deducted will depend on when you accepted the reservation and how soon before check-in you canceled it:

• More than seven days before check-in, Airbnb will  deduct $50 from your next payout
  • Less than seven days before check-in, Airbnb will deduct $100 from your next payout

On top of that,

1. Listing calendars will be block- you won't be able to accept another reservation on the same date
  2. Public review -an automated review will be posted to your listing's profile indicating that you canceled. You can write a public response,
  3. Account Suspension -

cancel three or more reservations within a year, Airbnb may suspend or deactivate your listing.

4. Lost of Superhost statue 

Do check out Airbnb links as below, 

https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2022/can-a-host-cancel-a-reservation-without-adverse-consequence...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/as-a-host-what-penalties-apply-if-i-cancel-a-reservation-for...

I hope you can make up your mind.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Also you need to think about who you will have a look after things on the ground while you are away. You will need an experienced co-host who knows what to do if there are problem guests, a problem at your accommodation etc @Andrea619 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea619  You only seem concerned about what would happen in terms of punishments to you for cancelling last minute. It would be very unfair to a guest to cancel last minute who has already made travel plans and booked a whole house.