Hosting rules/restrictions in Columbia Maryland

Yasi0
Level 1
Columbia, MD

Hosting rules/restrictions in Columbia Maryland

Dear experienced hosts, I am new to hosting in Columbia Maryland, so I would like to know if I need to register my property with anyone before hosting. Is there any regulation or restriction on short term rental (STR) or airbnb listings that I should be aware of? Your help is appreciated in advance! 

16 Replies 16
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Yasi0

You will need to contact your local government for any area regulations.

If you rent you will need to check your lease (most don't allow short term lets)

If you have a lease you will need with the property owners/association.

Angie109
Level 2
Maryland, United States

Hi Yasi,

I'm in Howard county as well. Do you have any follow up information on this? Did you find out what laws apply to AirBNB's in HoCo? Does your HOA approve of this? I would appreciate any information on this.  Thank you. 

Hello, did you ever find out what the rules are in HOCO or with Columbia Association?

Xiaowei1
Level 1
Ellicott City, MD

Any updates in Howard County? 

Does anyone have details on the Howard County, MD rues for AirBnB, or lack thereof?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Usually they put information on their website. Is it not available there @Herman145 

The Howard County website is silent on AirBnB - thus the question.

Does anyone have details on the Howard County Requirements (if any)? 

Silence is fine and preferred - just want to verify.

I know for a fact the shortest short term stay allowed in Howard County MD is 30 days or more.  Renting in Maryland you must have a rental license.  If a neighbor or anyone, reports you anonymously or not, a Howard inspector will require you to get a rental license and will require you to not list on the short term rental websites for less than 30 days. 

I objected to an anonymous report and stated in the United States we should be able to know who our accusers are and that is not the case in Howard County Maryland.  I told the inspector this anonymous reporting is what they do in North Korea, not in the United States.  The inspector agreed, he said until the law is changed it is what it is.  The inspector said people in Howard County tried to remove the anonymous aspect, but the General Assembly voted it down because the reporting would go way down if the reporter had to make known who they were.  

1st hand experience shows in Maryland if someone rents without a license a person can do whatever they want in your property and you don't stand a chance in court.  A  squatter can stay in your home and you are powerless without a rental license.  At minimum you will be required to refund the renter their money.  Your lease agreement is void because you don't have a license to operate.  

https://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments/Inspections-Licenses-and-Permits/FAQs

When do I need a rental License?

Every dwelling or dwelling unit in Howard County which is not occupied solely by the owner or owner's immediate family must be licensed. A license is also required if more than one boarder, roomer or renter occupies the dwelling with the owner. This requirement applies whether or not rent money changes hands. Rental Licenses ensure that the Howard County Property Maintenance Code standards are met. The requirement applies to apartments, individually owned condominiums, duplexes, mobile homes, townhomes, hotels, motels, assisted living unit and facilities.

I know this is a real bummer.

getting a rental license is easy enough, but where did you read that the minimum stay in howard county is 30 days? I operate in the county, and have spoken w/ the licensing office, and they said there are no such restrictions

I am looking to use my apartment as a rental. Do you know if this is allowed if I have permission from my landlord?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Glad you were able to find the information for @Herman146  on the Howard County website that he wasn't able to locate @Theresa89 

However of course you can't expect to have the contact details of those who report violations or potential violations whether around STR restrictions, dodgy landlords or child endangerment.

People would not report these issues if they felt their contact details would be shared. It would potentially put the person who reported the issue at risk.

Why should you know who has reported you for a potential violation. What would you do with this information? Someone might use it to harrass or commitment acts of violence against those who report them.

Hi all,

I received this email:

Dear Nura,

Thank you for contacting Howard County Government's Office of Public Information. Per the County's Department of Inspections, Licenses and Permits (DILP), Airbnbs or short-term rentals are not permitted in Howard County according to Zoning Regulations. Renting for less than 30 days is considered transient and categorized as a hotel, which cannot be approved in a residential neighborhood or private residence. If you have any additional questions and/or would like to speak to someone further regarding the County's Zoning Regulations, you'll want to contact the County's Department of Planning and Zoning at 410-313-2350 or email planning@howardcountymd.gov.

However, renting to (1) person, if the owner lives at the property, does not require a rental license. That said, renting for less than 30 days is still not permitted. If you are interested in obtaining a rental license, please contact DILP's Rental Housing License Office at 410-313-1830 for further assistance. Rental licenses are issued through DILP for two-year cycle periods.

Thanks again and I hope you have a good day.

Sincerely,
Alexandra

so, I cannot do airbnb here in Howard county MD! but I see listings though.
Eric6122
Level 2
Hanover, MD

Right I dont understand how you cant do Air BNB if there are listings on the website of rentals in Columbia. Is there anyone that is currently running Air BNB in Columbia?