Hosts ability to only allow fully vaccinated guests in Australia

Leslie73
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Hosts ability to only allow fully vaccinated guests in Australia

I have a beach house in Australia that I have had limited to a 1 mth stay during the pandemic.  I would like to release this over the Christmas period.  My question is, within Australia, are there any restrictions for us as hosts to request proof of double vaccination prior to accepting a booking.  IE is it acceptable to put it in the House Rules, then request proof when a guest wants to book?

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Leslie73  Many hosts are doing this now and there are several threads currently running here on the topic. Type Vaccine Requirements into the search engine here to find them.

Your home, your rules.

@Sarah977  Thankyou Sarah, I have had a look and most of the conversations are overseas and not in Australia, I was specifically looking for some feedback from Aussies, to see what they are doing.

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

I haven't opened mine back up yet, mainly because I want to see what happens when Gladystan opens up at 70%, and I'm fed up with opening up and then dealing with cancellations when we lock back down again.

However, when I do decide to host again I will absolutely be insisting on only hosting fully vaccinated guests and every person in the group will need to show me their vaccination passport before they get through the front door, unless they are one of the .0001% of people who has a legit medical exemption.     That will apply to my self-contained apartment.  For private rooms anyone unvaxxed for ANY reason, including age and/or medical exemption,  won't be able to stay.

The jury is still out on where this stance fits within the anti-discrimination laws and if it is found to be non-compliant with these laws, then I will have no choice but to shut down for the next year or so.

Thanks for your input.  Will you be placing this in your House Rules and asking for confirmation on request.

Diana-and-Chris0
Level 2
Mount Eliza, Australia

Excellent topic~ we have a self contained studio apartment & many guests enjoy being social  when staying with us. Conversations over a afternoon drink etc- light hearted “tell us about yourselves” kinda thing. Point being …. being double vaxxed ourselves & in accordance with Victorian government  accommodation guidelines .

Ultimately it is our choice to host & are we within our rights to request vaccinations (and for us to cite government regulations as our reasoning? We already use  a QR code & have had no problems with that.

If as suggested we put our stance/request in the rules , my concern is that some/few/most guests while acknowledging the rules rarely read them until they arrive & trying to find the wifi password.

Apologies for so many questions & thoughts but all we really want to do is host & do the right thing by everyone.

@Diana-and-Chris0  Exactly. I have a private room home-share (closed to booking since March 2020) and much the same relationship with guests. Chats over coffee or a bottle of wine, sometimes even sharing meals. 

I miss hosting, I got lovely guests and when I open back up, aiming for Dec, I will require vaccinated guests. I would feel fine about sitting outside, sharing those same activities with guests who are vaxed and take the same precautions I do when out in public, but not with guests who aren't vaxed, won't mask in public, and think Covid is no big deal.

Wanda-and-Geoff0
Level 2
Merewether, Australia

I'm in Newcastle and share my home so I have added Vaccination Certificated required - or NO entry on my listing.  Not sure how I stand with the law but it's my home, my requirement.  I have 3 guest rooms but only 1 open as I don't want too many in the house at one time until we see how this pans out.  I've only opened up till 15th Dec also at this point in time.  Its a bit of a worry really .

@Leslie73 @Diana-and- @Louise0 Chris0