Hosts being rated by guests on "Respects house rules"

Hosts being rated by guests on "Respects house rules"

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

20220929_093530.jpg

"Respects house rules" is a category unseen by guests and hosts (that I have come to find out from airbnb supervisors).  If you have a guest that has left 5 stars in all categories including "overall" but your overall rating reflects 4 stars, you may have been subject to this airbnb software code.  This is not an anomaly as I have confirmed with airbnb that it shows on their end as applying to all hosts.  The image of the airbnb support message does not violate community guidelines or rules and has no identifiers to warrant a removal.   I am making hosts aware that this is an issue that has affected hosts (not just myself) and I encourage any host to revisit any review a guest has left with 5 stars in every category that has an "overall" rating of 4 as I have confirmed with airbnb that this does in fact affect your overall rating.

I was given 5 stars from a guest in every category (including overall category) yet my overall reflected 4 because "respects house rules" was left blank (because of what I have now learned that neither hosts or guests can see this category and guests cannot rate a host on respecting their own house rules) but it is there and only airbnb can see it on their end.  I hope this help someone else going through the same issue.

12 Replies 12
Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Breighana0 The guest chooses to put an overall score of four . There is zero relationship between how many stars are given in any category and the guests overall rating. The guest could give you four in every category but your overall stars are still four .you have seven categories in one shot and six in the other. H

do you understand that we are not Airbnb and you keep telling us what you say Airbnb told you iwhich is obviously incorrect . Take it up with Airbnb because someone at Airbnb , not us , we are hosts like you trying to explain to you that from our collective experience that what you are saying and the reply from Airbnb is inaccurate, and not the way it works . We all know that guests can give us five stars in all categories and four overall.It does not matter how much you say it , it does not change.You asked the wrong question originally because you were not aware of this being a thing ,and somehow ,lord knows how , you appear to have had Airbnb conversations at cross purposes with someone who did not know what you were protesting about. We cannot change this ,it is not a glitch and even if it was , we are hosts , like you. If your problem is with the review then stick to the subject and ask these amazing hosts ,how you can get it changed and or suck it up and move on . We all hate the star system ,it only works for some , but we all try not to let it get us down and we have all, worked really hard and been dissappointed as well .Worse things could happen H

Hello @Helen744 and thanks for your response.  Please review the first image where it says what my guest rated me in the "overall" category. 

Thank you!

And since moderators have deleted what my rating was in the overall category.  here it is again with more redactions.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Breighana0 wrote:

This is not an anomaly as I have confirmed with airbnb that it shows on their end as applying to all hosts. 

neither hosts or guests can see this category and guests cannot rate a host on respecting their own house rules) 

So, according to this theory, that would mean that whenever a guest leaves a host 5* in all categories and 5* overall, but leaves the 'respects house rules' category blank (which would be 100% of the time because they cannot see it, nor rate it), the host would get 4* overall. So how is it that so many hosts have 5* reviews?

Hi @Huma0 it appears to be at random as airbnb does not have an explanation for it, but I would encourage you, if you have 5 stars in every category but 4 stars overall, to call airbnb and have them give you the backend reason for the 4 stars.   Hope this helps; have a blessed day!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Breighana0 

I don't recall any time recently where I got 5* in all categories and 4* overall. Also, if guests rate lower than 5*, there is usually some sort of feedback or explanation as to why. 

It's worth noting that, in the past, you would often see 5* in all categories and 4* overall and many hosts would post here about that. However, that was because, back then, guests could leave the individual categories blank and, when they did that, they would show on the host end as having been rated 5* when they had in fact not been rated at all (other than overall rating) and would not count to the category ratings that show on the listings. 

I was informed (by another host), however, that this has changed and now guests have to rate all the individual categories during the review process. It's since this change I think that I stopped ever seeing 4* overall but 5* in every category.

And again, zoomed in so you can see it better 🙏

Have a blessed day 🙏

Debora1454
Level 10
Milan, Italy

Hey @Sybe wasn't this subject closed? Is this spamming, trolling or what else?

Hi @Debora1454 

I have been over the community guidelines, and can assure you that I am a real person, not a troll 🙏 and I am not disclosing anyone's personal information, am not advertising anything and have not violated any airbnb content policy guidelines.  I am simply informing the host community of an issue that exists that can help them become better hosts in the future. 

Have a blessed day!

🙏

Debora1454
Level 10
Milan, Italy

@Breighana0 You have already done it in the previous post, I do not see the need to open a new identical post, if not to continue to uselessly discuss an issue that has no solution here. The community manager @Sybe  made it clear to you that he would notify you when there are any developments. Opening identical posts is prohibited by community policy, it is considered spam.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

Hi everyone,

I've decided to close this thread as well, for the same reason you can see here: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-being-rated-for-quot-Respects-house-rules-quot/m-p/169...

Thanks for understanding,

Sybe

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen