Hosts charging for things not in description

Michelle237
Level 2
California, United States

Hosts charging for things not in description

I noticed a new review since my friend booked our reservation that says the host charged extra for a 2nd set of bedding, and the host replied that a 2 person booking only covers bedding for one bed, depsite the listing stating there are two beds. There is no mention of additional charge for two sets pf bedding if booking for only two people and using both of the included beds.
This surprise is in the reviews, not the description. The description did not and does not state this, and that review was not there when we booked it.
Can hosts invent things to charge for that are not listed in the description?
This seems scammy to me because it is deceptive and guests will feel forced to cough up extra money to get something as basic as bedding, especially when they are in a foreign country and wont want the hassle of rejecting the accommodations.

Advice on how to deal with this should it arise?

8 Replies 8
Shirley1
Level 5
Somerset, WI

When I have two guests I always make up two beds without an additional charge.

Do you know if your friend told the host you were expecting separate sleeping accommodations? If not and you can't find the extra charge mentioned in their listing or rates, if this happened to me, I'd ask the host to point on where the extra bedding charge appears in their property description or rates. 

I charge a cleaning fee for 5 or more guests.  My sister rented a cabin from AirBnb and she was expected to bring her own bedding. Depending on the hosts' circumstances, there might be an additional charge that seems out of the norm.

However, any additional charges should be explained on the property listing or quote before you make a payment, not after. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Michelle237

Do you mind sharing the link to this listing ?

Some hosts set a base price for one and an additional charge for each person after one.

If you happen to enter the wrong number of persons in your booking, something like this could happen.

LeighAnn2
Level 4
Maine, United States

I have a listing which is a studio for two people. I state that I have a Qeen bed which sleeps 2. I also state that I have an optional sleep sofa but it would be cramped for an extra guest. I have an extra guest fee beyond 2 guests. I have not had anyone request beyond 2 people so far. So I do not really expect the sofa bed to be used. I have however had it used and so I had extra bedding to launder unexpectedly. More time consuming when a new guest is arriving. I can understand wanting to charge extra for the other bed but I do not. 

Maybe I misunderstood the issue.

A booking for two would normally mean use of a double bed.  For separate sleeping arrangements, it is always an idea to clear with the host rather than assume.  

In my place separate sleeping arrangements only involves one extra single sheet, so I usually ask my guests what sleeping arrangements they prefer and make the beds accordingly.  For the third and forth person I have an extra charge per person.

Michelle237
Level 2
California, United States

I ran it past airbnb and they basically agreed with me; no extra charge should be made and I can contest it should they try. Of course we will contact the host about this specific case, and hopefully they are reasonable. There is no error on our part as far as what we booked and paid for (a two bed apartment to be used by two people).

I was simply curious about the practice of adding charges for things after the fact, especially if these extra charges are not noted in the description and when the description notes it as a feature of the whole space.
IMO, it is like renting a two queen bed hotel room for 2 people, then being told you can only use one bed when you show up, unless you pay an extra fee. Not what you booked or paid for originally...

@Michelle237

I tend to disagree with your reasoning.  airbnb is not an hotel and you do not usually pay hotel prices, so you cannot really assume that you may use both beds in a two bed apartment.  For my part, I do not make the beds in the second bedroom if the apartment is booked for a couple.  

The host should however state the policy in their house rules rather than collect from unsuspecting guests.

If I wanted to pay even less, then I would have booked a one bed apartment and shared the bed. But we booked a two bed apartment for two people. That is what is listed, not one bed for two people.

The host should not assume the sleeping arrangements of guests. If they want to limit use of listed features and charge extra if those features are used, then it should be noted upfront.

I agree, Michelle.  Glad you sorted it out with Airbnb and hopefully your trip will go smooth!