Hosts did nothing: Renters stole my (a neighbor) car.

Melissa895
Level 2
Seaside, OR

Hosts did nothing: Renters stole my (a neighbor) car.

We are the neighbors of an Air BnB. ***We LOVE the company, and they have followed up very well after I informed them. 

What y’all do/think of this...🔥🔥🔥

(Police and Owners know the renter took it)

This happened to us a few weeks ago, and all we’ve received from the owners across the street is “I feel so bad.” 🔥

Here’s the backstory:

Our house is across the street from a (duplex) that is run as a “puppy mill” vacation rental (owners are in it for the 💵, and don’t seem to care about much else. Place is cheap, and turnover is constant). Their #airbnb renters stole our car when they checked out. (Witnesses ). see pic 2. 

Thanks to #seasidepolice kicking ass for us our:

-Car was recovered, (however)

-had been Abandoned and towed $350

-sent topolice impound $360 until Brett could find a ride, and take a day off work to recover the car +day missed wages ((($$$)))

+gas. 

Then...

-Found full of stollen items  from our community and a crazy horde of drugs:

-vials of fentanyl

-bags of needles

-meth/pipes

- among many other things.

Only Message From Owners:

Please let me know when you get your car back. After talking with my cleaner I am convinced it was my guests who took it- I am so sorry! They rented through Airbnb and there was nothing suspicious from my end, but Eric and I feel terrible about this

***note: We are occasional hosts, and travelers...and we’ve always had an awesome experience. 

#hosts #theft #stolen #neighbor

12 Replies 12
Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Melissa895 What are you hoping that the owners of the "puppy mill" will do for you? That would be where I would start, and then figure out how to make that happen.

Thank you, great question. I have hoped for: and I’d like to offer this out...

Are Airbnb guests...guests of the host? If so, 

-a conversation

-an offer of reciprocity 

-thoughtful measures set in place to help avoid this in the future. 

They had a #prostitution ring renter ~8-10 years ago.  

-I think some of the income they generated isn’t too much to ask. 

I understand they didn’t steel the car, however, if their son/cousin/etc. did...?  These were the “guests” of theirs that were complete criminals...I’m hoping for some responsibility on their part. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Melissa895  So that one message they sent you saying they feel terrible about it- do you think they are sincere, or simply trying to fend off you trying to get their Airbnb shut down?

I'd reply to the message something like  "Thank you for your message. We have been having to put up with your terrible renters for many years now, so we are wondering what you propose as a solution. We are out $xx due to the stolen car incident, are you prepared to reimburse us for this? What measures have you put in place to ensure that you get a better quality of renters in the future?  Could we perhaps sit down together to discuss this? "

Apart from that, you say you are hoping for some responsibility on their part, but it doesn't sound like there is any indication that they are responsible people, no?

Well said, thank you for wording it that way for me. I’ll give that a go. I am thankful for all the input, I have been so shocked.  

But now, honestly, how they manage their property...they’re just in it for money, I can’t imagine te caring much for us. 

This is a very quiet, residential neighborhood. We have kids, etc. this house brings tons of traffic, loud parties, etc. I’ve never said a word. 

Steeling my car car is a different story. Something needs to change, and maybe if they pay for it, they’ll do a better job checking on the renters they have? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Melissa895 they sent a message saying they were sorry. I don't think they are responsible for their guests actions, how could they know what that particular guest was going to do. It could be any other thief, who would cover your expenses then? 

I agree it’s not their fault, but if guests of my home stole from a neighbor...I couldn’t help it. I’d give them money to make up for their loss. I’d feel too bad doing nothing. Also, they made money from it...seems like a gesture that should happen. 

But, yes. I don’t hold them responsible. I just want them to help make it right. 

@Melissa894 

Your not really making any sense....... the hosts aren't responsible but you think they should give you money???

Why would anyone give money to pay for something that isn't their fault???? If they aren't *responsible* there is nothing for them to do to *make things right* since it's not their responsibility to begin with. 

Based on everything you're saying it seems to me that you do think the theft of your car is your neighbors' fault and you want them to pay.

If that's what you think and want..... just be honest and say so to your neighbors instead of feeling offended that your neighbors didn't pay. Imo, not being honest won't help you or your relationship with your neighbors. 

You’re right, I’m not. I’m emotional, and exhausted from years of this house being challenging. 

I know now they didn’t steal my car (not their fault). Literally. 

They’ve had prostitites, dogs left for entire days barking, waking up my babies, rude Parker’s...and now someone stole my car. 

At at some point, “good community code”( whatever that is) should kick in, and these people should say, “Wow, we made several hundred dollars off these thieves, can I halo pay for the impound fee? Or, gas it took to get there?”

they should do something, even though they didn’t actually steel it. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0 wrote:

@Melissa894 

Your not really making any sense....... the hosts aren't responsible but you think they should give you money???

Why would anyone give money to pay for something that isn't their fault???? If they aren't *responsible* there is nothing for them to do to *make things right* since it's not their responsibility to begin with. 

Based on everything you're saying it seems to me that you do think the theft of your car is your neighbors' fault and you want them to pay.

If that's what you think and want..... just be honest and say so to your neighbors instead of feeling offended that your neighbors didn't pay. Imo, not being honest won't help you or your relationship with your neighbors. 

***clarificarion: “not their fault” to me, means my neighbors aren’t the actual thieves. 

I’m asking the Communoty for guidance. I feel something should be done, and I’d like advice on what you feel appropriate. 

***clarificarion: “not their fault” to me, means my neighbors aren’t the actual thieves. 

I’m asking the Communoty for guidance. I feel something should be done, and I’d like advice on what you feel appropriate. 

@Melissa895  Have you tried filing a complaint? 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1293/how-do-i-file-a-complaint-if-my-neighbor-is-an-airbnb-host

I agree with @Branka-and-Silvia0 that if this is a continous, ongoing problem then you need to take action and force them to act with a bit more responsibility and consideration for neighbors. Call the police, file official complaints - do whatever needs to be done. 

@Ana1136  I agree they are not responsible for an occasional bad guest.

But if they constantly attract problematic guests with their low prices and shabby house, then they are responsible and should do something to prevent such incidents in the future.

@Melissa894  the next time their guests misbehave you and other neighbors should call the police.