Hosts- ever need A guest kicked out?

Answered!
Jenn64
Level 2
Scranton, PA

Hosts- ever need A guest kicked out?

Hello. I’m a superhost for 3 years now.

I want to hear from other hosts about their WORST hosting experiences and did you feel that Airbnb had your back? 

I currently have a possible criminal/addict at my home who is doing drugs in my home. I reached out multiple calls to Airbnb and it seems they no longer have US call centers and no one can do anything. Not one rep could send cancellatioN request to my guest. I even had the cops here. Feel SO unsafe & not backed at all. This guy also has damaged my toilet keeps clogging it, i will most likely need expensive plumbing work and god knows what he is doing in his room. The local police said they cant go in there!

anyone have a similar experience? Anyone need damages n contacting work paid for after s guest leaves & did Airbnb have your back? Any insight would help- thanks

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jenn64  I know this doesn't help with your current situation, but as you've seen, Airbnb is not to be trusted or relied upon in any way shape or form. Not with vetting guests, nor with safety and security. Unfortunately, it is all down to hosts to have our own backs. 

Going forward, you might beef up your house rules. Make it clear that any rule violation is cause for immediate termination of reservation with no refund. Include an explicit list of violations that will apply. Make absolutely sure guests are aware of this before booking. If you ever have a similar situation again, you can use that as leverage. Use your house rules to your advantage, and leave the housekeeping notes for a house manual.

Do not under any circumstance lean on Airbnb for vetting of your guests, or think that you are safe because a guest is verified by Airbnb, or are protected by host guarantees or host insurance. Vet your guests as thorougly as you can yourself, and have plans in place for dealing with problems should they  occur despite your best efforts.

Are you asking potential guests lots of questions and being mindful of red flags? Prevention is key. Don't let guests like this even get in the door. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Katie  or @Lizzie  Can you help @Jenn64? This sounds pretty urgent so why can't she get anyone at CS to cancel this guest so she can remove them? What happened to the recent promises of restoration of the Superhost support line, and promise of restoring quick responses, especially for urgent issues?

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Jenn64  I know this doesn't help with your current situation, but as you've seen, Airbnb is not to be trusted or relied upon in any way shape or form. Not with vetting guests, nor with safety and security. Unfortunately, it is all down to hosts to have our own backs. 

Going forward, you might beef up your house rules. Make it clear that any rule violation is cause for immediate termination of reservation with no refund. Include an explicit list of violations that will apply. Make absolutely sure guests are aware of this before booking. If you ever have a similar situation again, you can use that as leverage. Use your house rules to your advantage, and leave the housekeeping notes for a house manual.

Do not under any circumstance lean on Airbnb for vetting of your guests, or think that you are safe because a guest is verified by Airbnb, or are protected by host guarantees or host insurance. Vet your guests as thorougly as you can yourself, and have plans in place for dealing with problems should they  occur despite your best efforts.

Are you asking potential guests lots of questions and being mindful of red flags? Prevention is key. Don't let guests like this even get in the door. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As you have a current booking and have already called and spoken to them multiple times and asked them to cancel the booking as presumably you have evidence of drug use in your listing, I would just message Airbnb on the ticket you have open with them and confirm you are asking the guest to leave.

Also try them in their social media. @Jenn64 

You can file a claim for damages through their Resolution Centre.

@Jenn64  Airbnb does not have the legal authority to force anyone to host under duress. The beleaguered workers they've outsourced the customer service operation to aren't qualified to help you here, so I wouldn't bother trying to get their help. Instead, I'd suggest kicking the guest out for legal violations, and then informing them that you have done so. What most likely happens next is that the remaining portion of the guest's stay is refunded.

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Jenn64  At the very least go to the reservation and shorten it so it ends today.  Once the guest no longer has a reservation he is trespassing and the police can be involved.

Cindy461
Level 2
Elkton, MD

Airbnb is a zero in this situations. I had a party of 6 come in, a NY city attorney and his friends for 3 nights. They trashed the place broken glass everywhere more wear on the house than 10 years of living. Also broke 4 out of 6 brand new chairs outside. Airbnb didn’t get a dime for me and gave him back his entire deposit. 

@Cindy461  Airbnb doesn't charge the deposit in the first place, so they didn't have to give it back. But it's hard to imagine what reason they had not to compensate you for broken furniture - that's very much in line with what's supposed to be covered under Host Guarantee.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Jenn64,

I'm really sorry to hear about that. Were you able to end the reservation and remove the guest?

If you still need assistance with this, may I ask you to also please get in touch with Support so that your case can be reopened?

Thanks,

Liv