Hosts who are not there for checkin

Caroline1937
Level 1
Pawtucket, RI

Hosts who are not there for checkin

Does AirBandB have a rating for the reliability of hosts? I booked a trip with a late checkin time, only to find the host had not left the key and was out of town. In all my stays with Abnb , I have never had this experience!  A refund from Abnb and a negative review for the host just seems like an inadequate way to handle this kind of issue!  Now I feel that I have taken host availability for granted !  I would like all the hosts who commit and deliver to be separated from the rest who flake! 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Caroline1937  Did you communicate with this host prior to your arrival? If a guest just books a place and then simply shows up on check-in day without confirming check-in time, key location, etc and ascertaining that the host says all is fine for your arrival, that's leaving a lot up to chance. First, you want to know that the host has gotten your communications, and secondly, that they are able to accommodate them. It's  just smart travel sense. Sometimes it's not even a matter of the host being unreliable, but whoever is looking after the place in their absence, screwing up.

The ratings and reviews guests leave are how good hosts get separated from bad ones. You can leave low stars for "Check-in" and outline what happened in the written review. Unreliable hosts, as well as objectionable guests, eventually get their comeupance in the form of low ratings and poor reviews, which leads to booking declines for bad guests and poor booking rates, or even suspensions for bad hosts.

And no one is perfect, neither hosts nor guests. We all screw up on occasion. Just because you experienced an unreliable host doesn't mean he has been that way with past guests. It could just be a one-off, it doesn't mean the host deserves to be put on some list as unreliable.

If a guest had a habit of always ignoring hosts messages, that guest wouldn't be considered a great guest. But if they got put on some blacklist because that happened with one of their hosts, when in fact, they didn't answer because they  had no signal where they were staying, that would certainly not be fair.