Hosts with vacation cabins and off grid properties, how do you do it?

Leah460
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Hosts with vacation cabins and off grid properties, how do you do it?

I personally love visiting off-grid or glamping or cabins. I enjoy the experience so much that I would love to own and host it myself for others. 

I started looking into some of the potential opportunities, but the biggest challenges, which also happens to be the whole point of the getaway property, is that it's too far from "civilization". 

It will make it almost impossible for me to do any sort of on-site management like cleaning, weeding, shoveling snow. 
Do you have any tips and advice? It would be really really appreciated!!!

Also - I love visiting those properties, please show off your listing if you'd like! 

4 Replies 4

Hello

Nicole1922
Level 2
Sparks, NV

We just finished a place that is close to town (10 miles) but feels secluded due to wooded area. Find a contractor who will care about the woods and nestle it in the trees. Not cut down too much in the process. We found a spot that has enough under ground rock that trees and weeds are few in that spot. So no mowing or weeding. 

Just launched this place. I'd love feedback since you are into this sort of thing. It's in southeast MO.

Www.airbnb.com/h/ThePlaceInTheWoods

Nicole Ritch

Hello there. I am a host and a friend who is also a host offers an off-grid cabin for short term guests. Lots of headaches associated with it! Many guests THINK they want off-grid, but when the reality of using a generator, a wood stove, and propane lamps sets in, they struggle. And without cell service and WiFi, they struggle even more… and it’s reflected in their reviews. (Even though guests wanted to “get away from it all”.) Cleaning, plowing, garbage removal… all a pain for her.  If you’re going to offer an off-grid place for guests, you will really want to set realistic expectations... for both guests and for yourself. 

I would love to find a FB group for airbnb hosts who are off grid specific. Know of any groups like this?

Nicole Ritch