Hot tubs

Answered!

Hot tubs

I have just purchased a hot tub!

Would anyone be willing to share the guidance they provide guests with before using it - eg. dos & don'ts, or signage displayed, cleaning records etc.

Guests who do not wish to use the hot tub - is there an 'opt out' option for them when they book with Airbnb with a reduced price?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Elaine 

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elaine728 good luck with the hot tub. I trust you are aware that it needs emptying, cleaning and refilling between each guest? An awfully expensive and onerous task. I am unclear on all the health and safety legislation but some say the chemical balance needs checking daily which would make it a non starer for us.

Personally I would make this an optional extra and only fill it if a guest pays the extra amount per stay through the resolution centre.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Elaine728 good luck with the hot tub. I trust you are aware that it needs emptying, cleaning and refilling between each guest? An awfully expensive and onerous task. I am unclear on all the health and safety legislation but some say the chemical balance needs checking daily which would make it a non starer for us.

Personally I would make this an optional extra and only fill it if a guest pays the extra amount per stay through the resolution centre.

@Elaine728   There's not an opt-out pricing option for listed amenities. If you really need to charge a fee for a special feature, you can use the Resolutions tool to request it. But I don't think the RyanAir-style pricing model is popular with guests; most people would rather pay a reasonable price upfront and wait until they're on the trip to decide which inclusive features they feel like using. Many of your future guests will enjoy having the hot tub as a bonus feature, but it's probably not the main thing people are looking for when considering cottages in Northern Ireland.

Whatever you choose to do in terms of rules and signage, the one Airbnb-specific thing that's best to avoid is having a camera pointed at the hot tub area. Airbnb tends to suspend listings and penalize hosts when guests complain about that, even if it's fully disclosed in the listing.

Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I didn't know airbnb even had a resolution tool! The hot tub I have purchased sends a notification to my phone if people are using it, I will definitely be avoiding the use of a camera.  

All the best with your hosting business,

Thanks again.

Elaine

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Elaine728   Guests who do not pay for the hot tub will still use it.  I have added the cleaning fee for the hot tub to my regular cleaning fee.  The hot tub is emptied, scrubbed and refilled between each guest.  We are on a well.

Your local zoning or health department may be able to help you with rules and signage.  the following is my rental agreement language relevant to the hot tub.  This is for North Carolina.

WAIVER OF LIABILITY FOR HOT TUB AND AMENITIES: Guest understands that there are special health risks that may be involved in using the hot tub, as well as safety risks using other areas of the cabin (fire pit, barbeque and firebox as examples). In particular, he or she understands that there are potential dangers that these amenities may present to children who are not carefully supervised as well as danger to any person using the hot tub if a person has health risks, is intoxicated or using any kind of drugs or medication, or if pregnant. The hot tub should be kept at a temperature that is less than 104 for personal safety. Guest agrees to explain the risks of using the amenities and hot tub to any guests at the cabin and to be fully and solely responsible for any accidents, medical conditions or injuries his or her guests may incur. Guest understands the risks discussed above and agrees that he or she will assume all responsibility for his or herself and their guests for the consequences of those risks.
Guest agrees to waive any claim whatsoever against Owner for accidents, medical conditions or claims arising from his or her own use or guests’ use of the cabin amenities or hot tub. Guest also understands and agrees that he or she is responsible and liable and will pay Owner upon request for any damages that occur to the cabin amenities and hot tub and its support equipment through his or her own or guests’ misuse and/or negligence, for example, but not limited to, using the incorrect detergents in the dishwasher or clothes washer, neglecting to extinguish all fires in the grill or fire pit, failing to replace and secure the hot tub cover, walking on or otherwise damaging the hot tub cover, or damaging the hot tub filtration system with foreign objects, soaps or oils, or causing excessive water overflow.

Hi Lorna

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my query. The waiver you provided gives me a good idea of what guests need to be made aware of.  Following your advise I have contacted my local council (Health and Safety department) and I am awaiting further guidance from them.

Thanks again

Best wishes,

Elaine

When and how do you have guests sign your waiver? 

Alexis646
Level 2
Redmond, WA

I have a hot tub in one of my listings and will reach out to guests after they booked if they're interested in the hot tub and the fee attached to it which in my case is 79$. I let guest know that includes completely filling with fresh water deep cleaning, extra beach towels for drying off, and set to ideal temperature for there arrival. I leave it empty most the time to avoid people jumping in, I turn off the breaker in the the garage which is locked to avoid a guest from turning it on. I opt in more for the luxury hot tub experience and people tend to pay for it and reduces my risk of leaving it on and filled for all guests. Hope this helps. 

Alexis

@Alexis646 I love these ideas! 

Rosie255
Level 1
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

Hi can I ask has this increased your rental income ? I’m debating on whether ‘to hot tub or not to hot tub’ that is the question …. 
thanks 🙂