House Manual - Online v's hardcopy

Natasha390
Level 2
Oxshott, United Kingdom

House Manual - Online v's hardcopy

Hi,

I'm in the process of writing the manual for my airbnb property and was wondering if anyone had any experience with offering an online manual instead of a written hardcopy?

As I build websites for a living it would be easy for me to produce a personal, online guide for our guests but I wasn't sure if guests would prefer a written manual or not? I like to think an online version would allow them to access information prior to their trip, so they can plan accordingly, and have it with them when they're out and about exploring the local area.

I personally prefer being able to access information via my smartphone, so I'm leaning towards this, but wanted to know if anyone had done anything similar and what their experience was?

Many thanks

26 Replies 26
Jim472
Level 10
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Do both, let them choose. Easy to create on the computer and and keep it as a pdf that is open whenever a guest checks in. Tell them that most their questions can be answered in it. Plus have different translations available based on nationally. Easy to cut and paste into airbnb platform with the caveat, refer to desktop if they want screenshots. Oh and print out a copy for something to stick in the coffee table. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

If you've decided you'll only target the computer-savvy, always-online demographic then fine, go with an online version, @Natasha390.

If you think (like many of us) some guests will rock up without a smartphone/laptop/tablet (or suffer connection issues), a hard-copy will mean a) you don't get loads of questions and b) people don't biff you in their rating because they had to hunt for stuff.

There's also the basics, like wifi codes, where the rubbish goes and so on, so it's either a hard-copy manual or 'attractive' stickers/notes everywhere.

Ours is in an A5 folder. Discreet, tidy, and took an hour of my time to create. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Natasha390  Why either/or?  You can print out the manual you do online and put a hard copy in the unit. I for one, do not use my smart phone with all sorts of apps and to store all my info. While younger people tend to, I've had young guests who also didn't live their lives hooked to their cell phones. And, believe it or not, some people don't even use a smart phone. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Natasha390 ,

I also was undecided about which medium to use, and have chosen to put my house manual, instructions for using the appliances, and general details about area attractions on a USB drive, and plug it into the USB port on the TV.  I will notify the guests where and how they can find the information via email and on the same placard with the Wi-fi password.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

While I think that'll be fine for your more tech-savvy guest, @Debra300, it's a bit of a faff. It would be a turn-off for me, but we're all different. 

@Gordon0 Me too. I wouldn't be at all inclined to plug in a flash drive to the TV to read the house manual, and have to keep doing it to remind myself of something, but I would read a hard copy over a cup of coffee, and it's so easy to flip through again if you forgot how to operate something. I don't understand what's so difficult about leaving a folder with the house instructions in it. High tech isn't always better.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Sarah977,  The guest will not be given the thumb drive.  It will remain in the TV"s USB port, and can be selected like any of the other devices that are commonly connected to a TV (cable box, DVD player, game console, web cam, etc.).  Once selected and opened, it will have documents, pictures, and videos.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0 and @Sarah977, I have chosen to plug in a thumb drive into the TV, because: 1) it won't get misplaced, torn, stained, or have pages removed; 2) I won't have to worry about running out of paper or ink to do reprints when revisions are required (especially when I am in St. Lucia where high demand office items can run out);  3) a guest can do a Find to quickly locate desired information; 4) guest can copy documents into a translator like Google Translate; and 5) the font size on the documents can be enlarged on a TV, making it easier to read for those who are in the bifocal brigade, like me.

We have 55 inch Smart TVs in our spaces, and provide keyboards with touchpads so guests can use the internet and other applications.  In St. Lucia, it's  already a part of our check-in to show them the TV features (internet,  Netflix, Facebook, etc), almost all guests have used the TV features.  Especially those who are not native Englush speakers.  They like to log onto sites or stream in more familiar languages

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

All understood, @Debra300, and it's your listing, so entirely your prerogative. And while I know you didn't ask for my feedback, it was just to point out one size doesn't fit all. Glad it works for you all the same.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Gordon0

I appreciate you input, because sharing information is how we all grow as hosts and travelers.  Also, you are very fortunate that guests have kept intact your house manual.  I do think that since we don't live on the same floor as our guests and don't share space with them, that sometimes they tend to think of our place as a hotel rather than our home.  Some have torn pages out of the travel magazines at put them back in the common area, taken utensils or food containers from the guest shared kitchen, and brought people to stay overnight without telling us (not sneaking them in, just thinking that it wasn't necessary to say anything).  I think they would have behaved differently if we in closer quarters and shared space.

@Debra300  Oh, I can understand the things about it that are positives and an advantage, and also that you'd no doubt have to reprint the manual when it got grubby or needed revising, but like Gordon, just saying that some guests may not find it something they can relate to. I myself don't watch TV , use Facebook, or any of that. I wouldn't be sitting around watching Netflix on holiday, either. I'd never turn the thing on. But you know your guest demographic better than anyone, so if you figure all guests will be into it, there's no reason not to.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Gordon0@Sarah977 @Jim472 , @Natasha390 .

Glad you are comfortable @Debra300 , with your final choice of manual, to be via a USB stick.

We have a large tv, and unlimited Wifi for guests, but as we host Australians and internationals, who are not always travelling with lots of local data, especially if they are on global roaming and not a local sim, we keep things basic.

I’ve created a USB telling the story of a Cyclone in March 2018 as a visual, for where they are staying. It’s also in a documented A4 short story.

However, my manual, like @Gordon0, is in a folder. It is casually visible on the coffee table or similar, for their arrival and mentioned (documented) on check in. I can also photograph it within the space as proof, within my photo documentation prior check in. (for cleanliness, theft or damage ......)

Like @Sarah977 , I wouldn’t look at manual/ rules etc on a USB. I would only look at entertainment on a USB. If I’m travelling, I would look at it in segments or during downtime, like a free read over a coffee. I have guests who arrive all hours of the day or night, so better they can scroll or flick pages in a manual over a cuppa or breakfast, or in bed... Guests can always screenshot the tourist or emergency information they need to take with them.

It also has room at the very back for manufacturers operating instructions for small appliances including coffee maker etc. (visually useful when English is not the first language.)

=====

From an Airbnb perspective, it’s so much easier to exclaim that the rules and information was right THERE, when someone does the wrong thing etc. As we are family oriented, families travel with USBs for children’s entertainment, and there is always the chance it could get lost or taken by mistake. 

Besides the rules and operations, separate from a drawer of brochures etc, I will place the important tourist info and maps in my folder.

My Airbnb city guidebook is online, but I am considering making this also as an A4 display folder.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

That's a very good point, @Cathie19, and I remember taking pics of the same when in Australia earlier this year. A quick snap of the relevant pages and they're at your fingertips. 

Edit PS. And I've never had my manual taken/defaced or whatever in 250+ guests.

B32643CF-8839-4E95-903E-5C264620E765.jpegSame @Gordon0! An occasional map removed, but I always have plenty and only a few on site at a time. I also include a copy of the house rules, safety card and a number of heat/sun requirements as well. Our site handbook is on A4, but as can be seen in this image, I have produced it in A5. One in the folder with the A4, plus one in each bedroom, in a bedside table.

I have many information maps to national parks, tourist tips and city recommendations and all the website addresses they can look up if interested.