House Rules for Newbie...

Steve2848
Level 2
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom

House Rules for Newbie...

Hi. I have a small house which I'd like to let. My ideal customers might be 1) 2xadults plus 2 x kids. 2) 2 adults of either sex 3) 4 adults of mixed gender.

I wish to avoid single sex groups of adults e.g 4 x rugby players or maybe a Hen party.... How does 'No same-sex groups of more than two adults' go down?

Many Thanks

3 Replies 3
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Steve2848 you're not allowed to specify what gender of guest you're willing to host unless you share the space with them: if you're a home share host, you can say you only rent to the same gender as you. For example, a male host renting their spare room can say they only rent to men. If you're renting a whole home, you're out of luck. 

If you're looking to avoid hen and stag do's and rugby weekends, I would recommend putting that in your house rules (check no parties, and specify no parties including hen and stag do's without mentioning gender) and carefully vet your guests. Ask them about their reason for staying and get a feel for what they're like. I would consider not using instant book. You can also say in your listing that you are well suited to family groups and quiet getaways, but at the end of the day, there's no substitute for careful screening. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Steve2848 You should also consider a minimum stay of 3 nights as this will go someway to putting off people who want to party on a Friday night.

You can only really vet people if you do not allow Instant Booking and even then Airbnb will get upset if you reject too many guests. Downside of not allowing IB is that you will appear much lower in the search listings. With IB you get 3 free cancellations each year.

Finally ensure your prices are not so cheap as to attract poor quality guests.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you looked at house rules posted by comparable listings in your area to see what their house rules are? If not that's a good starting point . @Steve2848