House Rules

Answered!
Harriet4
Level 6
Enoch, UT

House Rules

I have 4 guests for four days and suddenly realized the guy who booked has been a member since November 2016 with no reviews.  I asked him if I was his first Airbnb and he said no which leads me to my question.  His group is not following the house rules and I have spoken with them twice. I went downstairs while they were out today and the kitchen is a disaster with dirty dishes everywhere. 

I'm beginning to think they stay places, leave a mess and then leave no review so no one ever knows what slobs they are.  I have posted that the quiet hours are 10pm to 8am yet they have kept me up until 11:30 pm the past three nights showing absolutely no respect for me.

How do I handle this with Airbnb so they don't do this again to another host? They haven't done anything truly destructive so I'll wait till they leave tomorrow morning, clean the place up, including washing all the dishes, and leave a review that probably will never show.  Any suggestions???

1 Best Answer

@Sarah977 , hopefully 'Suspended'..

View Best Answer in original post

22 Replies 22
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Reviews are publicly published whether both parties submit a review or not. Guests not leaving a review has nothing to do with a host's review of the guest not being published on the guest's review page or vice versa.

I really don't understand where people get this erroneous notion about reviews. 

If both parties submit a review, both reviews will be published soon after. If only one does, it will appear 14 days after check-out.

@Harriet4

That is not what happens with me in the states. 

@Harriet4  If your comment is addressing what @Sarah977  said, she is right. The process is irrespective of location. It's the same platform wide. If you have experienced problems leaving reviews yourself, it would be due to a glitch of some sort. Hopefully you will leave a review for these guests, and if it doesn't work, contact Airbnb about the problem. 

Your recent issue highlights why reviews are so important, but also important is being thorough in paying attention and asking lots of questions before  a guests gets in the door. 

@Harriet4 what everyone else has told you is true in the US as well as everywhere else. Nobody can stop their host’s/guest’s review of them from appearing after 14 days just by not leaving a review of their own.

I will also contact Airbnb to see how many bookings he's had since 2016 with no reviews.  It seems there's a glitch in the system for someone to use Airbnb for so long with not reviews.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Harriet4  As Sarah said. It's more a case of previous hosts not bothering to leave a review for this guest, for whatever reason. That's why it's so important that you now leave a very honest review, so future hosts don't have to put up with this garbage behavior, as you have.

@Sarah977 I couldn't give my last guest a bad review.. it hits the "Whoops - something happened" page. 

The worst thing was that i booked him on Instant Book and his Very Bad Review was not there. I only saw it after my dramas.

I guess not being able to review him was either a platform glitch or maybe his account has been suspended? Can you still see a active account for him? @Charles224

@Sarah977 , hopefully 'Suspended'..

Thank you for sharing this. I'm a newbie and about to launch my new property. I was debating whether to allow Insta Book and you post has me rethinking it.

Hi Dana,  I'm a newbie and found your post interesting, my launch is in May.  I'm curious, what decision did you come to about InstaBook?

Don't do it. Control who enters your property so that you have a chance to research them a bit. 

Never use instant book - you have no control and no recourse. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Even better would be "Permanently banned", I imagine. 

@Charles224