How Airbnb line their pockets during the Sydney lock down

How Airbnb line their pockets during the Sydney lock down

I booked accommodation on Airbnb and paid 50% up front. ($492)

I am in the Sydney lock down and not able to travel. As a result I had to cancel. The terms were that I'd only be eligible for a 50% refund $246

The host wanted to acknowledge the difficulty of the lock down situation and told Airbnb that she'd be willing to return 80% instead ($393)

Now, Airbnb have acknowledged that the host is giving me back 80%, but are only giving me 50% after all. Thus they are pocketing the 30%.  ($147)

Where can I go for help (and yes I have logged dozens of tickets already which are being expertly ignored by the customer-unsupport team

Can I start legal action and if so how? 

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jen6463  You haven't been clear here about the charges. The host can refund whatever portion of the booking they want, that has nothing to do with it.  I assume that you are referring to Airbnb not returning their service fee?

Also, when the cancellation policy states 50% refund, it says 50% of the nightly fee. That means the entire cost of the booking, minus service and cleaning fees. You aren't due 50% back of the 50% you paid up front.

Legal  action will be a dead end- you are not "owed" more than the cancellation policy stated, and as I said, the host is free to refund whatever they wish. If they authorize you getting back 80% of the total cost of the booking, that is what you will be refunded.