How are COVID cancellations working these days? Who submits the request?

Answered!
Stacie25
Level 2
Athens, OH

How are COVID cancellations working these days? Who submits the request?

I have a guest who needs to cancel to due state travel restrictions. Fine, no problem, full refund is okay, but the support rep has left me hanging! They stated that "I will cancel the reservation, process full refund for your guest and make sure no penalties on your end." Note the *I* - implies to me that he needs to do the cancelling, but he hasn't replied since yesterday morning and I'd like to get the calendar cleared off ASAP so we can replace this booking. 

Does anyone know who should submit the cancellation request in this case? Does support need to do it, should I ask the guest to do it, or should I just go ahead and do it? I want to be sure she gets her full refund including fees. 

1 Best Answer
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stacie25 absolutely do not do it yourself-- you will be penalized and the dates will be blocked. I would call Airbnb at 1-415-800-5959. Make sure the rep understands that you are not cancelling; the guest wishes to cancel and you are willing to accommodate their request.

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Stacie25 absolutely do not do it yourself-- you will be penalized and the dates will be blocked. I would call Airbnb at 1-415-800-5959. Make sure the rep understands that you are not cancelling; the guest wishes to cancel and you are willing to accommodate their request.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Salut @Stacie25

You do not need the assistance from the support team.

As long you agreed on the full refund, do ask your guest to cancel immediately.

Communication with your guest that you will send money to your guest right away after the cancellation confirm.

If your guest doesn't wish to do it's >

You can go ahead to cancel by your side, but select the correct reason and read carefully the cancellation summary in the next page.

Do select the once which is not affecting your listing and penalty-free.

But your calendar remains block if you cancel by yourside.

As below

Cancel your reservation
Why are you looking to cancel?

My place is unavailable
 I’m looking for a different price or trip length
 I’m uncomfortable hosting right now due to concerns about COVID-19
 I have reason to believe my guest intends to throw an unauthorized party
 My guest need to cancel
 Other

Click  NEXT

This cancellation will be penalty-free

If you can’t host this reservation due to disruptions caused by COVID-19, you can cancel without penalty up to 48 hours before check-in. You won’t pay cancellation charges or risk your Superhost status. We’ll keep these trip dates blocked on the calendar for this listing so you can avoid further cancellations.

Keep in mind, it’s important in times of distress to treat each traveller with inclusion and respect. Be sure to review our Nondiscrimination Policy before you decide to cancel this trip.

Best, 
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Stacie25  Lisa answered your question, but why are you not just using the flexible cancellation policy if you're willing to refund anyway? Save yourself this kind of headache.

Stacie25
Level 2
Athens, OH

I opened a new support case and it was resolved *subito*. I don't know what happened with the first case - I still haven't gotten a reply and it hasn't been closed; they totally dropped the ball.