How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Donna30
Level 3
Eureka Springs, AR

How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Hi.

Does anyone know of a direct way to find/post listings with specific needs, such as chemically-free, chemically-safer, organic apartments? 

Thanks. 

73 Replies 73

Howdy, I don't know where you are located but I'm looking for a chemical free fragrance free on my way down to Greensboro for a mast cell MCS conference at the end of April. I'll be driving along the 95 corridor but would go a bit out of my way if I find a place.

my email  iridety@aol.com

Best,

Karen

Mary-and-Ben0
Level 7
Boulder, CO

I just gave this feedback to Airbnb -- you can offer similar feedback here, https://www.airbnb.com/help/feedback

What I said:

"Airbnb is not matching us with the guests who are looking for what we offer. We've had to cancel 10 guests in a row because they did not read the description of the place and were not aware that we're offering premium lodging for chemically sensitive individuals, and they were not prepared to comply with our needs on their end (fragrance free etc.) On the flip, the guests who do (often direly) need us report they have not found us on airbnb, but through other, difficult-to-use-and-rely-on means, like word-of-mouth and Facebook groups. Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice. This is a huge market segment. I am aware that many people have asked you to bring back your search terms feature as this was very helpful to people looking for chemically-sensitive and eco-conscious lodging. another option would be to add a check box for hosts , 'Chemically sensitive, eco-conscious' or the like which would allow the guest to only view properties that are suitable for them. "

Also, just FYI, we are preparing our home to be an EMF Sanctuary which will offer a low/safe EMF environment for the increasing numbers of us who are terribly EMF sensitive. Please let me know if you want to find out more information about our efforts in this regard. Love to all fellow lovers of Earth --

Really appreciate what you are doing.

I do have one suggestion, please don't use essential oils, they can be just as toxic as other scented products. 

I looked at your place and was very excited about it (we will be traveling through your area in a month), until I saw the essential oils part.

Hi Mary,

This is a long shot that you'll read this, but did you remove your listing? I have a friend coming to town who needs a chemical free home to rent. I see that there are no dates available to select for your home. Have you decided to stop renting through airbnb?

Sincerely,

Brittany

Hi Brittany -- yes we de-listed for now. 

Hi Mary and Ben,

Are you planning to re-list any time in the near future?

My partner Beth has quite sever chemical sensitivities and I came across your post in the Airbnb forums about chemical sensitivities. I 100% agree with you that Airbnb is really failing horribly in this area for both hosts and guests. We’re thinking of visiting Boulder in January and possibly moving to the area and I noticed both of your listings were completely blocked out for the coming months.

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mary, can I ask where you got this statistic form, "Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice?"

Hello Mary-and-Ben0,

Please post your listing.

Thank you,

Lisa

It is difficult  that there is no specific filter  for  this, or the capacity to  put  in key words  on airbnb. It can be effective  to just do  a  web  search with the terms 'airbnb' 'eco' 'green' 'non-toxic' (in its many forms) and then the city you want to stay in. When I travelled from Australia to New York, I did this. I joke that I spent more time on the internet than on the trip, but I found the perfect spot in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and  I have  now stayed there twice. I also found a good place in San Francisco. They weren't specifically green folk, but I questioned the owner about what they washed  the bedsheets in. I felt like a lunatic with my questioning, but she assured me there was  no scent, and our stay was excellent. They also took an interest in the idea that some guests would prefer a non-toxic or  scent-free environment.

Rosemary147, May I ask where you stayed in San Francisco? I have a family member there and would so much like to go see them. If I could contact the place you stayed and asked if it was good for me too, that would really make my year!!  Thanks, M

Rosemary149,

Could you send me the link for the place to stay in Park Slope Brooklyn?

Thanks,

Lisa

Marjorie122
Level 2
Oakland, CA

I am so grateful to hosts that are conscious of this issue for guests. I have bookmarked all of your listings for future travel. Thank you!

Dayna26
Level 1
Washington, PA

Hello All, 

Had anyone found safe to place for people with MCS?? 

Julie1785
Level 2
Omaha, NE

Hello 🙂 I am a green blogger and am currently working on compiling a directory of this type of these types of lodging (fragrance-free, toxin-free, sustainablle,etc). It will be on varying levels and each listing will include the areas in which they are going above and beyond. Please message me on my facebook page, gogreenmamas, if you host along these standards or have any in mind that you have stayed at. Thanks!