How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Donna30
Level 3
Eureka Springs, AR

How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

Hi.

Does anyone know of a direct way to find/post listings with specific needs, such as chemically-free, chemically-safer, organic apartments? 

Thanks. 

73 Replies 73

@Sarah977 Sarah, it's amazing isn't it that humans like so much fragrance covering up the natural scents of the world around us.

Good for you for making these efforts. It's not just Mexican culture than loves fragrance, its all of North America—US and Canada too, Europe too. Everything seems to have to smell. I hope you put your efforts in your description. I would be thrilled to find you! (and when things open again, I'll be looking you up 🙂

@Valerie27  And would love to have you as a guest. I actually moved here from Vancouver Island, Courtenay, where I lived for 25 years.

It astounds me how marketers have managed to convince consumers that "fresh" is a smell that comes out of a bottle 🙂

Wow, you're an Island gal! Yes indeed, marketers can sell anything it seems. My partner stopped wearing fragrance when I met him. He soon became sensitive to fragrance. I'm grateful that he is now "normal" 🙂

Hello Valerie27,

Could you please post your listing?

Thank you so much!

Lisa

We have the fragrance free rule and still have the occasional "offender." We realize most people don't realize how impacted some people are by chemicals and fragrances in cleaners, soaps, body products, and gardening products. We don't aim to penalize them. I will point out to them if I meet them and are wearing a lot of parfum that we ask that they refrain from using any fragrance while in the suite and explain that our rules serve others. Pillows and linens hold the scent. Sometimes we end up washing 4 times to rid linens of fragrance. We don't make our guests suffer though.

While sometimes suffering, as we are doing now with a guest, we eagerly await their departure with a smile. They don't mean to injure us. They just don't realize. We've turned our disadvantage to an advantage and promote fragrance free on our listing and about 20% of guests have commented that they noticed that. Some contact me to ask questions and we chat a bit about it. I hope there is a category for this soon for everyone's sake. I think it is very stressful for some hosts who are not sensitive to fragrance and chemicals to understand why these sensitive people need from them.

Hi, 

I have come across one listing while searching. Took a while and came to it via a google search. I require fragrance and chemical free (those of us who need it know what we are searching for and us hosting know what we are offering. See link below) so a fragrance free and chemical free filter would be extremely helpful as there are a growing number of people with these needs. I am about to post a listing for a room in a fully fragrance home which will only be open to people with fragrance issues or MCS (multiple chemical sensitivity) because we have so much difficulty when traveling.

This is the listing I found via Google: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/1101007

To find fragrance free or eco on airbnb it seems easier to search google and knowledgeable sites to find the links here. 

Jacqueline138
Level 1
Milwaukee, WI

I don't know if any more 'chemical-free' airbnbs have popped up. My situation is that I signed up for one in Scotland and after doing so realized that I needed to check in about what they use to clean their surfaces and whether or not they use dryer sheets (make both my husband and I really headachy and more). The liaison got back to me basically saying that I couldn't be accommodated and she was sorry. She didn't answer my questions specifically as to what they used. I've traveled internationally and domestically with few problems. I do try to check out lodging ahead of time whenever I can. Anyway, I don't know how invested people in general are in helping people like us (sensitive to toxic chemicals) out. I will post if I hear of any other place. JR

Jacqueline 138,  I too am sensitive to chemicals  (very in my case)  and am wondering if you know any safe places to stay anywhere in the US. I am trying to travel from Southern Calif to St Louis, Mo, DC and Virginia and wherever else I have to go to sty somewhere safe to see my sons. I recently found a wonderful B&B in NM and now know I am well enough to finally travel again. Any help you can give in finding non-toxic and  safe places to stay would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you , Mara B

Hi- Where di you find to stay in New Mexico? I can barely travel now without getting sick. And it would be nice to see somewhere!

me, too (can't travel due to MCS/etc.)!... i haven't been able to travel in years; heartbreaking. SO: how can we get this sort of filter in front of those who make decisions with Airbnb?... 

well; i just found ONE start!! 
https://www.airbnbgreenfilter.com/

**bleep**, unfortunately, that link doesn't seem to be working now. I've been trying to find accessible ways to travel with my fragrance sensitivity for years. 

Mara226,

Please share the listing in NM.

Thank you,

Best,

Lisa

I have a 425 sq ft tiny home custom built without chemicals or toxic materials located in VA

if interested in more info

email me at [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

ill post in ABnB and vrbo when it's completed

thx

Kathy

PS

Lee in the photo is my Property Manager