Hi.

Does anyone know of a direct way to find/post listings with specific needs, such as chemically-free, chemically-safer, organic apartments? 

Thanks. 

61 Replies

Re: How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

in
Boulder, CO
Level 2

Hi Mary,

This is a long shot that you'll read this, but did you remove your listing? I have a friend coming to town who needs a chemical free home to rent. I see that there are no dates available to select for your home. Have you decided to stop renting through airbnb?

Sincerely,

Brittany

Re: How can I list, and find other, chemical-free, environmentally-safe apartments?

in
Boulder, CO
Level 6

Hi Brittany -- yes we de-listed for now. 

in
Cambridge, MA
Level 2

Hi Mary and Ben,

Are you planning to re-list any time in the near future?

My partner Beth has quite sever chemical sensitivities and I came across your post in the Airbnb forums about chemical sensitivities. I 100% agree with you that Airbnb is really failing horribly in this area for both hosts and guests. We’re thinking of visiting Boulder in January and possibly moving to the area and I noticed both of your listings were completely blocked out for the coming months.

Thanks!
Mark

Level 2

Hi Mary, can I ask where you got this statistic form, "Up to 20 percent of travelers will choose a fragrance-free, eco- and chemically-conscious lodging as their first choice?"

in
Milwaukee, WI
Level 1

Level 2

It is difficult  that there is no specific filter  for  this, or the capacity to  put  in key words  on airbnb. It can be effective  to just do  a  web  search with the terms 'airbnb' 'eco' 'green' 'non-toxic' (in its many forms) and then the city you want to stay in. When I travelled from Australia to New York, I did this. I joke that I spent more time on the internet than on the trip, but I found the perfect spot in Park Slope, Brooklyn, and  I have  now stayed there twice. I also found a good place in San Francisco. They weren't specifically green folk, but I questioned the owner about what they washed  the bedsheets in. I felt like a lunatic with my questioning, but she assured me there was  no scent, and our stay was excellent. They also took an interest in the idea that some guests would prefer a non-toxic or  scent-free environment.

Level 1

Rosemary147, May I ask where you stayed in San Francisco? I have a family member there and would so much like to go see them. If I could contact the place you stayed and asked if it was good for me too, that would really make my year!!  Thanks, M

in
Oakland, CA
Level 2

I am so grateful to hosts that are conscious of this issue for guests. I have bookmarked all of your listings for future travel. Thank you!

in
Washington, PA
Level 1

Hello All, 

Had anyone found safe to place for people with MCS?? 

in
Omaha, NE
Level 2

Hello 🙂 I am a green blogger and am currently working on compiling a directory of this type of these types of lodging (fragrance-free, toxin-free, sustainablle,etc). It will be on varying levels and each listing will include the areas in which they are going above and beyond. Please message me on my facebook page, gogreenmamas, if you host along these standards or have any in mind that you have stayed at. Thanks!

Level 2

Hi @Julie1785  is there  link to your blog?

in
Chicago, IL
Level 10

I'm having a little trouble with the definition of "Eco-". 

I think I am "Eco-" friendly as regards use of chemical sprays in the house and garden, and I try and buy products which are labelled as bio-degradable, and non-destructive to the environment.

However, that does not mean, necessarily, totally fragrance- or chemical-free, and it doesn't mean that every practice I use in the house, like recycling and waste-disposal, is 100% perfect.  And it doesn't necessarily mean allergen-free.  People can be allergic to almost anything, including house dust (more specifically, mites which occur in house dust).   My sister was the most allergic person I ever knew, until she went for desensitization treatments. There wasn't any way to prevent triggering some of her allergies. 

I have solar hot water, but I also use natural gas.  I use glass and stainless steel, but I also use plastic bin liners.    I prefer soap to antibacterial handwashes, but provide both for guest use. 

I think "Eco-" is a continuum, and not a state, and even if one implements a search based on "Eco-", there should still be questions and answers back and forth between host and guest, to establish whether or not a listing is suitable for both parties, based on their specific needs. 

in
Dallas, TX
Level 1

This is so true. I think it could be interesting to have a “badge” that Airbnb could award to homes that provide certain aspects of the “eco” definition. 

in
NY, NY
Level 2

Hello, I am searching for a home to rent in London, UK or the surrounding area that is suitable for someone with MCS. I can't find anything and am getting desperate. Does anyone know any places in the area?

in
Dallas, TX
Level 1

I would absolutely appreciate a filter like this while searching! I think this is as important as the accessibility filter and would be a great asset for Airbnb to add. There are a lot of people out there who would benefit from this, including myself