Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

805 Replies 805

Hello, just adding to get others opinions on if I should trust this listing or not. This is the listing along with the email information. I’m a bit skeptical. 

https://abnb.me/lkN0ATBkt0

Listing information: 

“IMPORTANT NOTICE: The calendar is not updated at this point and you have to ASK FIrST if your dates are available ! Ask about on my personal e-malL: Nyc@bnbe. live More photos available: e-malL: Nyc@bnbe. live Please read! Before you agree to book and pay please ask me if the place is available for the period you request. The calendar might not be updated in real time because I have it listed in different website. Thank you for understanding.”

response in email: 

“As security deposit needs to be added, discount needs to be applied I will make all the arrangements and you will receive the official confirmation from airbnb needed in order to finalize the reservation, so just let me know if you are interested to continue with the booking.”
I ll wait to hear from you soon.

@Aleah3  I suggest you contact Airbnb and ask them about this. It sounds really fishy because Airbnb normally blocks out any email addresses in the listing description. And Airbnb hosts normally keep their calendars up-to-date. Just because a host advertises on other sites as well, is no excuse not to have the Airbnb calendar synced with the others. 

And stop emailing with this person. All communication with legitimate hosts should be done via the Airbnb messaging function on their site.

Sue914
Level 2
Wyoming, Australia

Hello,  I'm looking at this listing in London.  The host doesn't have a photo, there are only a few reviews and when I sent a message they replied within 10 mins with a short answer, but didn't answer most of my questions, They gave me the address which is unusual.  I sent another message but they haven't replied yet.   It's a lot of money, should I be worried ?

https://www.airbnb.com.au/rooms/34811560?adults=5&check_in=2020-04-16&check_out=2020-04-19&source_im...

Sophie1150
Level 1
Pimperne, United Kingdom

Hi guys, 

Would you think an ad is fake is..

1. The pics are blurry and look like they've been taken on a phone of a computer screen

2. There are no reviews

3. The profile pic looks like a professional picture and I googled image searched it and the results came up with a French model/actress (lol)

4. There is no description

Meri30
Level 2
Ashford, AL

How do I confirm this is legit?  No reviews makes it seem sketchy.  There are several listings under this Red Awning company and I looked randomly and none had reviews. Help is appreciated! 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/37790701?adults=4&check_in=2019-11-27&check_out=2019-12-01&source_impre...

@Meri30  It looks like Red Awning just joined Airbnb: they have 119 listings so more than a few! I'm guessing Airbnb just uploaded all their listings and none have reviews yet. 

https://www.redawning.com/

They are a legit company. I'd say it depends on what type of Airbnb experience you want to have. I prefer dealing with the actual owner over some massive property management firm. 

Thank you for the input! I really like the place, I'm just concerned.  The same place is listed on another popular booking site for 3 times as much for the same time period.  I'm trying to be smart and do my homework. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sophie1150 @Meri30  There's nothing about "no reviews" that make a new listing suspect. Of course a new listing isn't going to have any reviews, just as a guest new to the platform isn't going to have any reviews yet, unless that host has or has had other listings, in which case all reviews from his properties will show up under his profile.

So "no reviews" isn't a red flag. Fake URLs that are made to look almost like an Airbnb URL, a so-called host who emails you a long letter detailing why they are listing so inexpensively, or goes on about an Airbnb "agent" meeting you and showing you the place and giving you keys (there's no such thing) or asks you to send them your ID and other personal information (this is different from a host simply asking you to upload verified ID and a proper profile photo to your Airbnb account or asking for ID because they live in a country where this info is required by the govt.), or asks you to wire money- those are all red flags that it's a scam.

Thank you for the input! I understand a new listing--however, they have 119 and none appear to have reviews.  It says they joined in 2018 so even in the past 10 months, you'd think there'd be at least a few reviews on some of the properties.  I'm not being negative- just smart.  I really like the place, I'm just concerned.  The same place is listed on another popular booking site for 3 times as much for the same time period.  I'm trying to do a little homework before planning a family get together and have no place to stay.  I do appreciate the input! 🙂 

@Meri30 I wasn't suggesting that you not exercise caution and due diligence- that is indeed wise. I just see a lot of guests on the forum being wary of a listing simply because it has no reviews. I advise guests to send an Inquiry (click on "Contact Host" under their listing description) to listings they may have an iffy feeling about- the response, or lack of a timely one, can give you a better sense of whether it's legit or not.

An Airbnb member, be they host or guest, may have a profile that indicates they've been a member for quite some time yet have no reviews. In the case of  host, they may have joined planning to list a place and it didn't come to fruition right away, or they may have joined as a guest and used their account that way and their past host/s didn't bother to leave them a review. In the case of a guest, a past host may have not left a review, or they joined thinking they would travel, and then never did. But it's definitely something to note and perhaps ask why the profile shows long-standing membership yet no reviews.

佩彣0
Level 2
Taichung City, Taiwan

Hi I would like to know if this is a fake or real airbnb website?

https://airbnb.us-modern-newly-remodeled.com/1/listing/22/view-64cj82hj/OL20U1qlsw

@佩彣0  Most definitely fake. Not an Airbnb URL.

Juan961
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Do you think this is fake?

https://abnb.me/Apr4nYWMQ0

@Juan961  It doesn't look fake to me- it has no reviews yet because it's a new listing, but if you click on the host's profile photo you see that he has 6 other listings and 6 reviews there for some of the other places. the reviews look legit, as well- 5 are good, one is a little concerning (and fake listing all have glowing fake reviews, not critical ones), as the guest says it was advertised with free parking, there was none, and the guest had to pay $250 to park somewhere, and that the host wasn't responsive about it being offered but not provided. Same review also said the neighbors expressed displeasure that the place was being Airbnb'd, so the guest got dirty looks.  I know there are laws re short term rentals in NYC and this host may be operating illegally, but I'm not up on the laws there.

If you're really interested in this place, I'd suggest sending the host an Inquiry message (click on Contact Host under the listing description) and dialogue with him a bit to get a sense of whether you feel comfortable with it. 

Juan961
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

What do you guys think about this one?

https://abnb.me/nuVgHfVQQ0