Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

807 Replies 807

Hello - we are unsure if this is just a new/inexperienced listing or a scam. I did reach out to the host asking a few questions and he did respond but he seemed to ignore my request for more details/pictures  about the house itself. 

https://abnb.me/Gdny6ZnO84

Gina1391
Level 1
Carmel Hamlet, NY

Hi, What do you think of this posting?  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/42880418?adults=2&check_in=2021-01-04&check_out=2021-02-01&children=0&i...

The host is new and has no review on any of her three listings.  The "verified" status is on the listing.

The price is hundreds below a condo in the same complex, and this lower priced condo is much nicer.  It makes me nervous. 

Queen49
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hello I am having some trouble being Anke to identify if the air bnb I would like to book is legit.

Oscar675
Level 1
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

My friends recently booked this villa in Ibiza but I am quite concerned. Firstly because the price seems too low for what it is and where it is, the villa is incredible and I would say almost half or three quarters what you would expect it to cost. Secondly the property only has reviews from December 2019, which is the same for all of her properties, which all seem to be a bit too good to be true. Also the reviews have a lot of the same bad English mistakes in them suggesting they may have been written by the same person.

What's confusing is that she is a superhost and also my friend got in touch with airbnb to check abnd they verified that it was safe to book.

Here is the place: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/40968586?adults=1&s=13&unique_share_id=26BFF825-454F-42DE-92CE-6ABB31...

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Oscar

Ainė0
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

Hello,

there is another scam, happening in Portugal. 

Scammers upload nice apartments on Idealista.pt website. Once you send a message, that you are interested, they delete the listed house from the website and send you an e-mail. 

Here's the copy: 

Hi again,

Please read carefully all the steps to avoid the inconveniences. 
I let the keys and the contract to an agent in Portugal. As you know the situation is very bad here in Spain with the COVID19 and i cannot come to Portugal, the rental process will be made through Airbnb(www.airbnb.com, the biggest real estate agency from worldwide)because it's the most protected way. I've used their services many times and i tell you that was a great opportunity for me to work with them.
The contract will be for 1 year renewable and for maximum 9 years.
They will provide assistance in handling the payment and schedule the visit of the apartment. With this procedure you will be able to check the apartment before i receive the money.

1. The first step is that i need the following informations:
    - Your full name:
    - Your address:
    - A phone number where the agent can contact you:
    - Whatsapp number for faster communication:
    - A copy of your passport or identity card.

IMPORTANT! Without these informations i am not able to start the rental process.

2. I will send your informations to Airbnb to start the rental process.

3. I will publish the apartment on Airbnb website and i'll send you the link to reserve it.

4. When you reserve it, you will pay to Airbnb the first 2 months of rent + 1 month as a security deposit(which will be refunded at the end of the contract).The next payment will be after those 2 months.
  * The money will be locked in their account until you sign the contract.

5. After the agency will confirm your payment, the agent will contact you to schedule the visit of the apartment.

6. You will visit the apartment with the agent, if the apartment is as i described it, you will sign the contract and they will release the money to me, otherwise the will refund all your money back.

VERY IMPORTANT! You are not able to visit the apartment until the Airbnb will confirm your payment. They will pass your informations to the agent only after the payment is confirmed. I like to have the things very clear and i do not have time to waste for nothing, i also do not want to waste your time.
  * The payment will not oblige you to rent the apartment, is just a guarantee that you are interested to rent it!

Thank you,
Eric Buigues

Once you send him your personal data, he gives a FAKE AIRBNB link and if you book through there, your money is gone. 
One thing to notice  - all of them have e-mails created via hotmail.com 
for example.

dr.buiguesguillen@hotmail.com

i really would love if someone could catch them. 

If you guys know more pages, where we can share this information, please do!! 

Ainė0
Level 1
Lisbon, Portugal

hey guys, i created a facebook group called idealista.pt/Airbnb scams

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1365785733619234

please join and share your experience there! 

George1335
Level 1
Birmingham, MI

I just received this email from a “Host” from the follow website. Is it fake. Airbnb express@booking-invitation.com via bnc3.mailjet.com

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @George1335

Fraudulent emails often come from domains that may appear similar, such as @bnb.com or @reservation-airbnb.com. But legitimate emails from Airbnb will only come from the following domains:

• @airbnb.com
  • @airbnbaction.com
  • @airbnbmail.com
  • @airbnb.zendesk.com
  • @e.airbnb.com
  • @express.medallia.com
  • @ext.airbnb.com
  • @guest.airbnb.com
  • @host.airbnb.com
  • @noreply@qemailserver.com
  • @outreach.airbnb.com
  • @research.airbnb.com

I hope his helps!

You can find more info here

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Ashley932
Level 2
Concord, CA

Hello everyone,

Can you help me figure out if this listing in real?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/42676094?source_impression_id=p3_1591278448_hVwt3jds5zcs4bzD&guests=1...

Nothing came up when I did a reverse image search but it seems fishy to me for multiple reasons. The two dinning room tables, inconsistent decor and image quality, unverified identity...etc.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

Taquisha0
Level 1
Columbus, OH

I am going to post a link, can one of you lovely folks let me know your thoughts on it? I'm extremely skeptic as this is my first time using Airbnb & I've heard many horror stories! 

Mike2152
Level 2
Winchester, VA

Is this real or Fake, can anyone help thanks....

@Mike2152 It looks fine to me - What makes you suspicious?

@Mike2152  I don't see any red flags on this one. The reviews seem real- there are even a couple with complaints, which scammers won't do- they make fake listings with reviews that are all great. As Mike asked, is there any particular reason you have doubts? Have you communicated with the host. You always have the option to send an Inquiry to a host before deciding to book something- that doesn't obligate you in any way, and you can see if you get a nice, prompt reply.

Margaret955
Level 1
New York, United States