Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

Answered!

Scam alert! How can I make sure a listing is real?

This will be my first time using Airbnb so I'm a bit weary about listings being fake.

What can I do to make sure a listing is real and not a scam?

What should I be looking out for?

Thanks

1 Best Answer
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Welcome to Airbnb!

Here are a few things you can do to make sure the listing is real:

(1) Look at the reviews and make sure they seem to talk about the same place you are booking

(2) If the listing says anything about contacting the host outside of Airbnb before booking, DO NOT - this is a well-known scam.

(3) Look at the listing - if it seems "too good to be true" (aka luxurious penthouse for a super low rate) it probably is!

You can also post the link here and we can weigh in on our thoughts.

View Best Answer in original post

803 Replies 803

@Hayley45, you didn't add any commentary to the link, (so we aren't entirely sure why you sent it), but that is not a legitimate AirBnB web site.

It is one of those sites set up to look like AirBnB, but are not AirBnB. (AKA a scam.)

Where did you find this URL?

The guy sent it to me via email to book my stay. His name is **. 

Hayley - Email .png

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Hayley

My youngest daughter’s pal lost a significant amount of money booking via a scam air bnb site last year.

My advice is to download the Airbnb app from an Apple phone .

Once you set up your account on the Air bnb app, then you are ready to go.

NEVER ever communicate outside the air  bnb platform, this applies to both guests and hosts.

NEVER pay cash, use your verified bank account or credit card.

I never use Paypal either as it faciiltates scammers.

There are rogue guests as well as  rogue hosts.....Don’t get caught out by either of them.

@Hayley45, I see!

Interesting. Totally fake, but interesting.

Do you have any idea how this criminal knew you were looking to travel to this area?

This is what the person said in the email...“The apartment is not listed on the Airbnb site. I already paid a fee to register the reservation through Airbnb so in this case they manage and secure this transaction from craigslist. We are covered and protected by Airbnb so this transaction will go smooth.Again, payment will be handled by Airbnb and they will release the funds to me only after you agree to rent the apartment.“

He's lying. Airbnb doesn't work like that. And hosts don't get paid "after you agree to rent the apartment". They get paid AFTER the guest checks in.

@Hayley45, I imagine you already suspect this listing is fake and the "host" is a liar and a criminal.

Just to clear up any doubt, as others are telling you, this is 100% a fake listing and the "host" is 100% lying to you.

Should you (or anyone) send him any money at all, that person would never see the money again AND not end up with a place to stay.

Guaranteed.

https://abnb.me/wwfIvQTFwR Would y’all help me figure out if this is legit or not? The first picture of the house looks unrealistic, compared to the mediocracy of the bedrooms. The total for one night would be $175. Is this legit? HELP 🙂

hello I found 2 listing by the same person, no reviews yet and one identical image, one of the flats is encredibly cheap, how do I know if I can trust it?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/30929008?location=Rome%2C%20Metropolitan%20City%20of%20Rome%2C%20Ital...

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/30874567?location=Rome%2C%20Metropolitan%20City%20of%20Rome%2C%20Ital...

Hello! I read your tips but I still have doubts about a host. He has 2 houses, one in Copenaghen and one in Ibiza. He has been on airbnb for 10 years but he has no review. He asks to send to his email address our info so he will book for us through airbnb because he has some problem with his calender. But the payment is through airbnb.

What do you suggest?! 

@Martina456  Why do you have doubts? This isn't how Airbnb works- hosts don't ask for a guest's email address before they book- in fact, that info will get blocked by the site if you try to include it in a messsage before a booking is confirmed. And hosts can't book for a guest on Airbnb.

I can pretty much guarantee you that this scammer does not have any houses anywhere, not in Ibiza, not in Copenhagen, not anywhere. It's all lies.

If you post the url here of the supposed Airbnb site he says he is liosted on, we can tell you if it's the real Airbnb site.