How can a Superhost of 6 years get so despondent?

Alastair0
Level 9
Chiang Mai, Thailand

How can a Superhost of 6 years get so despondent?

Several months ago we received a nice message from Airbnb showing that we had had over 2000 guests from many countries, pass through our home. Its amazing that we have had so many. Like most of you we originally started as a hobby, a way to share what we have with others. After our factories closed down we have relied exclusively on the income we receive from bookings and it has “just” kept us afloat, with any extra money being put back into our home so guests can enjoy the improvements that we are constantly doing.

So many guests say how great it must be to live in this environment and are jealous of us, but wouldn’t it be nice to have a break,? to escape for a few days. Wouldn’t it be great to go to an Airbnb Open to share with other hosts the ups and downs of our new profession. Unfortunately we could never take a break or afford to fly even for a few days to recharge our batteries. 

We keep seeing messages from Airbnb that are disheartening. We are told that bookings in our area are down 40+% compared to the previous period last year and that Airbnb’s availability is up 35 % on last year. I’m no mathematician but that shows that that demand is down whilst and availability is up. and yet Airbnb is constantly asking hosts to recommend other potential hosts who will be in competition with you and then to bombard us with recommendations to lower your prices. 

Do you not get the feeling that the Golden goose is sleeping with a chicken? There is a point of no return where you loose money just trying to make ends meet. This is not just Airbnbs policy but other agencies too. Following this trend we have found that guests who go for a really cheap price are the very ones who give bad reviews that will effect your listing and your search engine results. We dropped the price of a room to $20 a night, the guest rarely left the room and air conditioners ran 24 hours a day. They gave us 5 stars for every category but gave a 4 star overall because the room didn’t have its own refrigerator.  Guests want The Dorchester Hotel for the price of a YMCA. Whatever we do we can't win.

How many 5 stars do we need to offset a 4 star and get our visibility up so guests can book.

Sorry that I should vent my frustration with you but perhaps you are feeling like me and just to let you know you are not alone.

Al & Nok

Hosting for 12 years Superhost for most of that time and have grown each year.
24 Replies 24
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alastair0 Sorry you're feeling down and all you say is so true. I realize you need the money, but it sounds like you could do with a break. If you possibly can, block your calendar for a month. If you can't afford to go somewhere for a holiday, make your own guest-free holiday at home. Relax, read those books you never have time for, have dinners with friends, go for a hike. Treat yourself to a sanity break.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alastair0  There's nothing you can do about tourism numbers being down, or the increase in the number of listings, but if possible, maybe you could organize a meeting with other hosts in your area to discuss pricing. It's really hard and senseless when everyone is undercutting each other on the price to the point where no one is charging enough to actually make decent money. That can most certainly lead to host burn-out, as you knock yourself out to make sure guests are happy and still can barely pay the bills. There are lots of new hosts, or hosts who don't participate in any host forums, who think that they should be following Airbnb price tips, which are ridiculously low. If a large enough number of hosts got together and agreed to raise their price by say, 20 or 30% you'd all be better off.

And maybe on a personal level, kick around some ideas for augmenting your income in other ways or upgrading your listing somehow so you can command higher prices. 

Kristine135
Level 2
Dunblane, United Kingdom

Hi all,

I agree - I get messages telling me to turn on 1 night bookings, but since we don't live there, and a clean + laundry is £140, we lose money for one night (in off season, we can lose it on a 3 night stay even!), as we never charge that much for a night even in summer - and it is a 3 room, fully redone, award winning at the beach house. 

I have said the same as you - the messages are frustrating, and confusing. Guests have lost the idea of 'living like a local' and freak when we ask them to put the bin out on the night before rubbish collection - they don't want to do that b/c they are on holiday.

They break things and don't tell us - but if you ring Airbnb, it seems they ALWAYS take the guests side, and they push everything onto the host, making it unenjoyable for us to host, and we have had nightmares (only with Airbnb guests, we don't get with HomeAway guests) - we almost sold our house 1.5 weeks ago b/c we couldn't put up with the calls from guests, the constant breakages or damage and not telling us, and all of the things you mentioned that have taken away why we bought the house originally, and decided to host. It is our true 2nd home, and was our total happy place. Within 48 hours we had several full price offers, but that wasn't the right solution - we have done so much to the house over the years, we wouldn't be able to buy a similar house in so close to the beach in a few years, so we kept it. The issue is guests and cost and effort. 

However, it isn't that happy place anymore, we travel there with a horrible feeling in the pit of our stomachs, not sure what we'll find this time that is wrong when we walk in. Our cleaning team is great but they have loads of houses in summer in Cornwall, so while they take 2 hours to clean the house, they won't be counting the glasses, or looking in the buffet or the drawers to see what guests may have done and tried to hide. 

We recently added onto to our cleaners an extra £5 to take rubbish away b/c it isn't pleasant for someone else to arrive to a full bin, and since about half of the guests don't put them out, it was only fair to the next guests, so that just adds to costs b/c guests think they are in a hotel. We look at what is coming in, and outgoings, and we hardly make anything. 

We have discussed limiting the Airbnb window for hosting, since we aren't making much, or only allowing two people if via Airbnb, as they are less trouble - it is when you get two couples in the house when furniture is broken and things are broken. We are still assessing our options. We started hosting mostly b/c we knew how lucky we were to have such an amazing house in such a stunning location, and felt we should share it, but not if people are walking all over us, and it is just about covering costs. If we can't make money off of it from this year, as our full refurb of the property - from obvious things like new kitchen and bathrooms, to upgraded heating and insulation, and a million things - is done, we'll definitely consider not hosting on Airbnb. 

I've had meetings and a closed FB group to discuss with other hosts booking, rates, etc, but the real issue is that Airbnb cares about money first and since that mostly comes via cities, cities are second, and for really knowing local markets, that is a total fail - Cornwall has worked a certain way for ages and people are putting a shed in their garden (not a nice pod, but a SHED) and renting that, and within 3 months they are a superhost? I don't get it. If you are a country location you fall further down Airbnb's list, and when they don't take the time to put someone on the ground, you'll never win. 

Sonder, in return, is going great guns, and while we can't use them, they are already taking a fair chunk out of the city guests. 

I think Airbnb forgot why they started originally and what their mission was....and having a mobile responsive site so it worked on phones would help - it is useless as it is now. 

Right, I have things to do, but Al & Nok's post hit home. 

Best, Kristine

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Alastair0 @Kristine135 

Long term superhost here too, and I feel your pain! I can relate to every word you're both saying. 

@Kristine135 

Please tell me Sonder aren't infiltrating Cornwall  now...?? 

Kristine135
Level 2
Dunblane, United Kingdom

Not yet, but if you look on Linked in they are hiring General Managers/MDs for Edinburgh, Berlin, Lisbon, Barcelona, Rome, Florence.....every country in Europe and some are being split into regions, so more than that. 

I only know since I was referred to them. It is astonishing, b/c they are doing it the same time they are fully expanding/ opening Australia and NZ, Singapore, and other parts of the Far East. They are going FAST. 

So far, Cornwall is safe. No large buildings to buy, unless they try Truro maybe? 

I wonder if Airbnb ever looks at this....

I made a suggestion the other day and their agents - besides not being able to spell - kept calling me. I just asked if they could add a line for 'Pets' just like Adults + / -, Children +/-....b/c we charge a £25 pet fee, common in Cornwall. 

They were calling only a few hours after I put the request in, and they were asking if I was satisfied with the outcome, etc etc and I finally slightly lost it saying 'is it live?' (Them, no, it goes to the product team, and we have no idea when they would get to it.) So I explained I am CEO of a digital company, and I could code that in less than 30 minutes, but WHY CALL AND ASK IF I AM SATISFIED B/C YOU PROVED YOU COULD READ A TICKET AND NOTHING WAS DONE AND NO TIMELINE existed??

I'd also asked if we could get the magazine only North American hosts get, and suggested just sending a link to a digital version, save trees, postage, etc, but the more info we have, the better equipped we were, and got a call on that, so I am not making suggestions anymore. 

I have an issue with my calendar and I am dreading calling and thinking of ignoring it...except it is a next summer booking, so I do need to get the calendar to show the full booking, not 1/3 of it on my iCal, and the calendar that syncs with HA.

If they can't build a responsive website that works easily on mobile, I really shouldn't be surprised about the calls about my simple request on the pets.

I did ask if they could stop sending truncated texts which make you want to throw your phone, but no. 

At least we all feel each others pain...and if one more person says ' I'll take this issue over and fix it' I'll lose it. 

This is why I want to buy a 1 bed lock and leave in Mallorca, so we never let it, and can fly there in 2 hours from Scotland (where work has sent my other half for 2-3 years before we can go back to England.....). 

Ugh. Thanks @Susan17 for confirming I am not nuts, despite Airbnb doing their best to make me so! 😉

@Kristine135 

I've been posting about Sonder, and the hundreds/thousands of other similar huge VC-funded companies (Stay Alfred, Duomo, Vacasa, Hometime, Cottages .com etc etc) taking over the Airbnb platform and pushing small, independent local hosts out of business, for 2-3 years now.

I'm blue in the face trying to warn small hosts what's happening - in their cities/towns, as well as mine - but they just don't want to hear it. Too busy obsessing about reviews and the superhost system, to see the travesty that's going on right under their noses, and to realise that the writing is on the wall for them too (homesharers included). 

I'm very happy to hear that Sonder haven't got their ugly tentacles into Cornwall... at least, not yet anyway (only a matter of time though - if not by Sonder itself, then it'll definitely be plundered by the UK-based behemoths, if it hasn't been already). Utterly depressing, and a disastrous, destructive development not only for small local hosts/homesharers in towns and cities worldwide, but for local residents and  communities too. 

I'm not sure what it will take for regular hosts to wake up and start fighting back. But if they can't (won't) see the clear correlation between mega-rich companies like Sonder ($1 billion valuation, after a recent $210 million funding round, bringing total funding to over $400 million), swooping in to take over cities like Berlin, Barcelona, Edinburgh, Rome, Florence etc (all cities where small, local hosts are being/have been wiped out by the introduction of the most draconian regs), then there really is no hope for any of us. 

@Kristine135 

Here's a post I wrote 8 months ago about the evolution of Sonder, and how their reputation as Flatbook (the company's original name) was so awful, and their reviews so shocking, that they were forced to rebrand as Sonder, and wipe out all trace - including revies - of Flatbook. Mindblowing that such a sh*t company, with such a horrendous track record, is now one of the biggest players on the Airbnb platform. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Host-Circle/Wow-Hundreds-of-new-ABBs-just-flooded-my-market/td-p...

Kristine135
Level 2
Dunblane, United Kingdom

I posted something about a new one, Fairbnb - if you go to page two I pasted the whole article.  I'm blue in the face too, but I even noted when calling Airbnb yesterday it says 'if you are a Guest, press 1, for anything else, press 2' - as a Superhost, not a great feeling. Just reinforces the cog in the money making wheel feeling. 

I just live for the great reviews and people who really appreciate it, and enjoy it - my best guests are either from HA OR other Airbnb owners - especially Superhosts. We are about to go on holiday and are staying in 4 Airbnb's over 2 and a bit weeks, one of them a 'Luxe' - I looked into that, as we met all criteria, then I realised we'd have to ONLY list on Airbnb, so I left it. 

I cannot relate to the Golden Goose sleeping with the chickens. I'm hoping it sounds better in Thai (though it would make an interesting name for a curry). 🙂

Henry42
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Let's do the math, according to the last Census there are 252 million housing units in the US  US Census estimates 3.5% are second homes.  That's 9 million.  Roughly 25% of second homes are Professionally Managed.  So in my opinion from the perspective of AirBnb or other OTA's their growth of revenue lies in ever larger conversion of 2nd homes to Vacation Rental.  The vacation market has been growing at 8.5% per year, but some communities are experiencing 200% per year growth in listings.  In the long run, those investing in flips compared with conversion of owned to rental could be the next housing crash in communities with rapid listing growth and seasonal rental demand  vs communities with year round tourism and business travel.

Henry

@Susan17  I was just in Dublin for the World Science Fiction and Fantasy convention at CCD . I really enjoyed your city. Noticed shortly before we arrived that some hosts were cancelling their listings because of the new laws. A number of guests were scrambling for alternatives. Hope you are faring well under the new regulations.

Hi @Christine615 

Yes, I remembered you mentioning a while back that you were coming for the convention, and tried last week to find any old posts of yours on the CC, so I could message you to see if you had time to meet for coffee while you were here, but couldn't locate any. (I also tried just entering "@Christine" to see if you'd pop up that way - it brought up a lot of Christines, but you didn't seem to be amongst them!)

I did have guests who were here for the convention. Rachel and her hubby Lee from Concord, and their friends. Lovely people, enjoyed having them. We organised a dinner for them and 36 of their friends on Friday night (with just a few hours' notice!), and my drivers transported them all to the restaurant from the CCD. I don't suppose you were you part of that group? 

I joined Rachel and Lee and another big gang of their buddies, when they had dinner in our local pub on their last night here too, and learned lots about Science Fiction and Fantasy conventions that I had no inkling of! That's what I've always loved most  about hosting - meeting fantastic people that you'd never usually meet otherwise, who open your world up to subjects you previously knew absolutely nothing about. 😉

Delighted to hear you enjoyed Dublin!

@Christine615 

As for how I'm faring under the new regulations - not good. Not good at all.

At this stage, most of the small independent hosts I know have either shut down because they don't need the hassle, or are diehard desperados like me, trying every last stalling tactic in the book, because we have no other option but to try and stay in the game. We know it's futile - govt has already made it crystal clear that they'll be denying all (very costly) applications for planning permission - but at this point, what else can we do but play for time?

Bottom line though - it's looking extremely likely that I'll be forced out of business, and out of my home of 16 years, by Christmas, at the latest. (The really big players, of course - the "Pros" and commercials - will have no such issues)

And lest anyone be in any doubt - this is all down to the relentless marauding of Airbnb itself. Coming soon to a small town near you.

Greed is the knife, and the scars run deep. 

I'm so sad! I love that Airbnb now has numbers attached to our names but I really wish they'd make it a bit easier to search for the right people. Growing pains.

I'm so glad you got to meet people from the WorldCon community. This was my third time. I tried to get tickets to the George RR Martin screening of Forbidden Planet but as you can imagine it sold out the same day the tickets were released. I think he's still in Dublin. Think I saw he was doing a lecture at the university.

The convention moves to New Zealand next year and I can't afford it. So waiting for 2021 when it will be back in the United States. But I hear Scotland is bidding for a chance to host in a few years. If so - you should definitely go! It's so broad in categories - science, fiction, movies, shows, actors, astronauts, authors, singers, costume contests, and everything in between.

Yes - loved Dublin and the people. We traveled with five other people so had 2 apartments in Whitehall. Worked out well. They were able to use LEAP cards and my husband and I found it easier to use FreeNow to catch taxi's (much cheaper than Uber and better service).

Perhaps next time. Our friends explored the surrounding countryside but I had 7 appearances so I was really busy. You sound like a fabulous person and I hope the best for you.

Airbnb hosts are struggling in KC because of all the commercial companies coming in and buying up starter homes. We've had problems, including a party at an unauthorized location and yet Airbnb still maintains the listing along with one two blocks from me that advertises for events even though it's not legal here to do that.

The City Council went too far in allowing the expansion beyond single family homes and duplexes. And the paperwork is onerous. Some of my neighbors are dropping out because they can't get though the process and the prices are dropping so low, it's like paying people to stay with you. So houses are going on the market. Kind of sad that Airbnb is losing its way. But we're holding on.

Sending big hugs from across the ocean! 🙂