How close to their arrival date can a guest modify their booking?

Sanna1
Level 2
Chamonix, France

How close to their arrival date can a guest modify their booking?

Hello,

I had a guest requesting a modification on her arrival date two days before she was due to arrive.The new booking dates were a few weeks ahead,which is fine ,but during that period our minimum stay is 5 nights and her current booking went from 4 nights to 3 nights in a few weeks time.I thought about it and accepted the request,BUT it got me thinking that I am now running a risk of not having any bookings for the following 4 days,because she modified so close to her arrival.It is a similar case to cancelling a booking except I won't get any pay if there is no new booking for the days that are now free.Is there anything that can be done to avoid something like this happening,for example a penalty to the guests if they modify this late?I understand that it is up to me accept or decline the request and I could have said 'no',but at the same time I try to be as accommodating as possible and plasn do change.However,if you cancel there is a strict policy,whereas this sort of last minute modification can leave me out of the pocket completely.

I would appreciate feeddback from fellow community members or Airbnb staff.

Kind regards,Sanna

3 Replies 3
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Sanna1

It's possible to make amendments even when the trip has started and is actually in progress.

Bear in mind it is a tool a savvy guest can use to circumvent your cancellation policy or just from a dizzy guest who doesn't understand operations from your point of view.

If you have a minimum stay, note it in your listings and if a guest attempts to make amendments below the minimum stay, you can reject it for this reason and give the guest a choice to keep the original or to cancel subject to the strict cancellation policy, especially if it is near the commencement of the trip.

You can be accommodating but you should stick to your rules too.

Thank you Elena for your answer.Sadly the thought did cross my mind that she may cancel eventually,though I hope not.I do have a minimum stay requirement and I was suprised also that she was allowed to reserve dates ,which were less than the required 5 days during that period.However,after some consideration it was fine,but I will be more strict in the future,for sure.I thought Airbnb had some rules for guests about modifying and such ,but apparently not.It was a first time I received a modification so late.

Thanks anyway and hopefully other hosts will take note of this.

Kind regards,Sanna

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I wouldn't accept a last minute request to amend a booking particularly where it didn't meet my minimum booking requirements.