How do Guests know if Host lives on property AND/OR have rights to enter Guest Private Area?

How do Guests know if Host lives on property AND/OR have rights to enter Guest Private Area?

I met a Host duirng a conference this summer; she told me she lives on the property she rents (which surprised me) and I could have sworn that I saw a distinct visual on her Property Page showing she lived in property. 

Fast-forward to today. While looking for potential places to stay near Disney World, I didn't encounter any type of visual cues showing that hosts live on the properties they rent. Is this new? Is it only up to the Host to acknowledge that they live up/downstairs or share common areas with their renters in the Details/Description?

Another concern popped up after reading the thread "Define Private Room and Host accessibility thereto" (https://goo.gl/CQQnZ3). Does AirBnB still have a vague ruling or protocol for Hosts whether they are allowed to enter Renter areas without Renter permission even if the Property is listed as "Private?" 

20 Replies 20

@TheCommon0   I am entire houses, I have an alarm system, private code on the door that is the last 4 of your cellphone, but the biggest thing I do to give a safety option for my guests is I provide a safe they can code themselves, so we have no clue what the code is to hold laptops, money, and a lot of other important items. This is always something I look for when renting homes and surprisingly few offer them, even very high end places. I go on trips with jewelry and expensive cameras I don't always need to carry around all the time, my laptop and my surface. My children always brought one or the other also. I want to lock up passports and a good amount of extra money I have that I do not want to walk around with because money belts are uncomfortable. It's frustrating trying to find places that have them and that they are large enough to be bolted to the floor, so they cannot just grab them and run with them. So this was one of the must haves on my listings. I went with one that can be bolted down weights 150 pounds at least and it's rather large so at least 8+ laptops that are 17" ones would fit with room for a lot more items. I still need to list it on my listing I have had at 5+ people ask me if one is available on site. Everyone that has asked has booked. It's in the master bedroom closet and the shelves are removable if needed.  

safe.jpeg

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

You can already search by 'entire apartment/home' and if you don't have time to read the listing to see if the owners live in the same house/property, e.g. carriage house/cottage/2+ family...then that's your choice.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Airbnb lists spaces as “Entire apartment/Home/townhouse/condominium, etc” or “Private Room”

Entire apartment/Home = entire space to yourself

Private room = private room in host's space

Not sure what else is needed?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Letti0  Almost all the whole house listings in my town have safes. I don't in my shared home listing, but I have a secret place I hide valuables, and also offer to do that for my guests where no thief would ever think to look 🙂

@Sarah977  Mexico, Aruba, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Bermuda and some other similar countries did have the option of safes, but most of the US including Hawaii and Alaska and for the most part all of Europe it's not an option available often. My daughter did find them available in Russia and Africa, but not many other places either like me even in Peru and the Amazon when she went there for her honeymoon none. 

I have a small safe in the guest room for cash, jewelry, passports - mostly to put their minds at ease, but to be totally honest...... if we were to have someone say they are worried about leaving their laptop in the guest room in our home....... I think Henry and I would probably laugh 🙂  Henry really likes his gadgets......... we both have (not cheap) earphones, headphones, bluetooth speakers. Then there is Henry's work laptop & tablet along with mine....the list of expensive electronics and gadgets go on~

If anyone should be afraid of someone stealing electronics or passports or cash it would be us hosts, not the guest.