How do I ask a guest who has 'instant booked' for more details

Sia-Vince0
Level 2
Adelaide, Australia

How do I ask a guest who has 'instant booked' for more details

I have had an instant booking from someone who has only just signed up to airbnb. I feel uncomfortable not knowing why they have asked to stay or what they do or anything. How can i ask them to provide me with more information about themselves and their visit so I can feel more secure?

7 Replies 7
Rebecca160
Level 10
Albuquerque, NM

There must be some hiccups in Airbnb, as I have gotten a couple of IBs from newbies, when I require multiple good reviews. Anyway, you can send them an email with your questions. And you can reject the booking, if you have any concerns. Your safety should be paramount.

Elizabeth429
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Hello @Sia-Vince0,

Newbies or not, I always ask questions about the purpose of their visit, about the number of guests because sometimes not so newbies end up sneeking more people than they originally booked for. Since my listing offers breakfast, I use this opportunity to ask them about their preferences within the choices in case they have a special diet or have lactose/gluten intolerance. Depending in how they get back to me, I decide whether to continue or not with their booking.

Dont be afraid to ask, its your house your rules!

Hi @Elizabeth429 

Thanks very much for your nice tips. But when you say "continue or not with their booking". Did you mean that we just cancel the reservation?

As I have known, we are allowed to do this only twice a year. Should we do that?

Best regards,

Tai

Hello @Tai15,

Extenuating circunstances need extenuating measures. If after sharing messages with the guest you still dont feel comfortable, you can call Airbnb and make them see your view (with the exchanging messages as proof) of why you dont want to host THAT guest.

I didnt it once and Airbnb, after reading the messages, agreed I was right in wanting to cancel the reservation, so they didnt it themselves without any penalisation.

Obviously you need to stick to the truth lying in the reasons why you dont want to host that particular guest.

Hi again,

Thanks for your useful answer.
It seems like airbnb has changed their platform, so we cannot see their telephone number (customer service) in each country anymore.
The only thing I found is: https://www.airbnb.com/help/contact_us
Do you have any idea?

//Tai.

Airbnb Norway phone number +47 21 61 16 88 

Jane235
Level 3
Melbourne, Australia

I’ll send them a message saying I would like to know their reason for booking my apartment.  You can generally tell if they answer straight back whether they are genuine or not!