How do I deal with guest that breaks the house rules, is rude and tells lies?

Martin269
Level 2
Bogota, Colombia

How do I deal with guest that breaks the house rules, is rude and tells lies?

Hello everyone,

I am more or less new to the Airbnb, just hosted around 20 times and stayed around 5 times in someone home.

So far only two guest were problematic. But this last one is telling lies to the people that work on my property and then telling me other lies about them. They have worked with me for more than 5 years and I have never had a problem, and most guest love them, they spoil them rotten and go out of their way to help.

So far the problem as just eneded up in tears from my employees, but tears are beyond what I feel confortable by far, very very far. 

What can I do? How do I kick them out if the problem continues or worst, it escalates? It is a family, only one of them is the problem.

I am sure we are getting a bad review from this, our second! How bad is having two bad reviews?

Thank you for any feed back and help

13 Replies 13
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Sounds like you need them out, contact AirBnb and get the relocated.

David

Thank you for your reply. How do I do that?

I have called a few times and finally managed to get someone to pick up, and they sent me an email but have offered no help and just asked me if I was happy about having recieved a reply. I would LOVE to relocate them, I will even pay for their new place, no problem, a good night sleep is price less and this kind of problem will keep me awake until they leave.

Not sure how the conversation went, did you tell ANN your house rules were broken and they would be leaving?

David

Hello David,

First of all, thank you very much for answering!!

I am not sure I expressed how grateful I am the first time you answered.

I am not sure what ANN is, but I called and tried my best to tell me the house rules were not being followed and I wanted to know how to kick out the guest in case of need.

Is there an ANN number or email? I am speaking with someone but I feel they just want to tell me, don't worry about it, deal with it, and I think things will get to the point were I will not be able to handle them.

ANN is what happens when you have big fingers and a small screen and do not check your typing.

I can only think of telling ABB that they are leaving at xxx time as they have broken your house rules and that they may need rehousing.

I assume that the situation is bad enough to chuck them out.

David

Wow, thanks for sharing. I am new to hosting with Airbnb and my first guess was rude in the email and dishonest so I cancel her reservation because she did not want to pay for her extra guest and boy did she get rude. I canceled her reservation (5) days before arrival and that was not go enough for her. She basically told me I haven't heard the last of her! I am thinking about not even participating in the program due to the lack of respect.

Forgive me I just needed to share.

Participate 

I do like Airbnb but I am also in the same page, maybe I should just stop cause I might get a crazy person again.

I feel for you. I just booked a guest last weekend. His first time. Very labor intensive before he even got here. Wanted to pay on 2 seperate cards and I tried to help. Even up to the afternoon before his arrival I wasn't sure he was coming as he didn't answer any texts or emails.

He checked in on Wed for 2 nights. Without me knowing it, he left Thursday morning without saying a word. I didn't know he was gone (stayed out of his room) until about 3pm when I noticed his stuff was gone. He didn't bring much.  Now he is harassing me via text (suddenly he is able to communicate) and is demanding a refund. I have tried to tell him that I can't adjust his reservation, only he can. I believe he is still in town and I am a little fearful that he will come by my house and confront me or possibly damage my car, etc. We each gave each other 1 star. I haven't hosted a lot nut I've gotten good reviews. I have guests coming at the end of the month and when they go, I think I'm dropping out. He also had a girl come over and he also smoked in the house.

You did right to listen to your instincts and cancel her. And news to her, she is done with you.

Best wishes.

Be cafeful. I cancelled a reservation last year due to an underage booking, and lost my Super Host status. Airbnb told me that would happen, however, I do not rent to people under 25 (this kid was maybe, 18) and we do not allow parties in our house. Airbnb was no help at all. Ever since, I have had minimal bookings, and a lot of Spam (people pretending to want to rent a year from now but really want to list my house or manage it) its been crazy. I have had no Airbnb support. Getting ready to take my listing elsewhere. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Martin269

I am sorry to hear about your guests, it can happend to all of us anytime.

I think (maybe I am wrong) you should ask them to leave (or just kick them out) and then contact Aibnb and tell what they did, broke your house rules, made your employees cry etc.... 

Then let ABB and your guest manage the cancelation and relocation etc

The best ways to contact Airbnb are : https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165/highl...

If you contact them through twitter (airbnbhelp) they will get back to you in few hours

Best luck

Thank you for the info. I will look into how it works.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Martin269

You don't actually say what rules your guest broke or what happened.

However there is no excuse to be rude to your staff or have them in tears.

Get on the phone to airbnb and tell them your guests have broken your rules and behaved unacceptably with your staff and ask them to relocate your guests.

I do hope you recorded all the instances through Airbnb messaging including pointing out to the guest how they were breaking the rules and that their behaviour with your staff was unacceptable.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

@Martin269,

Just tell your guests to cut the crap.  It's your house, your rules, and at some point you're going to have to learn to control your business.

Calling ABB every time something goes wrong suggests that you can't handle this just yet.

This problem you describe is "chisme".... petty gossip.

Call ABB when there is a threat to life, property, pets.