How do I establish boundaries with guests who refuse to listen?

How do I establish boundaries with guests who refuse to listen?

I am in the first few weeks of hosting, and this is the first time I have encountered "difficult guests." Until this week, I was excited to meet everyone, continually working to improve my guest experience, etc., but this has left me questioning everything. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
I rent out one room in my one bedroom apartment and sleep in the other. Days where one guest leaves and another arrives are a little stressful, but I always took these cleaning days to be part of the deal. My current guests arrived in New York early in the morning. I agreed to let them drop off their luggage before 4 PM check-in, assuming that we all understood that this meant that I was going to bring a suitcase into the house and leave it in the living room so they wouldn't have to schlep it all over the city, but not do anything that would disturb the guests who were scheduled to check out later in the day. Instead they arrived and stayed. We have a bit of a language barrier, but they did understand that I had other guests, just not why I couldn't push the other guests along now that they had arrived. Then they wanted pizza. Ordinarily there are three pizza places within a few blocks, but it was Sunday morning and a Jewish fast day (all kosher restaurants closed,) so the closest available pizza was five long blocks (as opposed to short blocks) away. I took them, both because they didn't seem up to following a map and to avoid making the previous guests uncomfortable. They were not happy with the walk.
The previous guests had checked out when we got home, so I set to work cleaning while the current guests sat in the living room.
And from there we never established the sort of boundaries that prevent resentment. (Or any boundary I tried to establish was resented and ignored.) They understand enough English for basic communication, but there is a fundamental disconnect. I asked them repeatedly not to use my computer (my work computer) unless I was present and specifically set it up for them on guest user (otherwise they can read my texts, emails, etc.,) but nonetheless came home to find them asking for my administrator password so they could download software. (Which was actually spam.) They seem genuinely disappointed and upset when I said no.
I spent hours trying to help them book a bus tour to Washington DC (I'm in New York,) but they never actually booked one, and now they are not going to DC, and I don't know if they think this is my fault.
In the midst of a heat wave, I believe at least five days passed with no one showering, and this inevitably resulted in an odor that eventually made its way out of the room and into the rest of the house. I changed the sheets once to minimize this, but it was back after one night.
Tomorrow they check out and someone else checks in, and they are pushing against my having to be firm with a check out time because the cleaning I am going to have to do will be epic. They do not have a plan as to where they are going after checkout. I don't know if I can handle another two hours of trying to help them book a bus ticket just to have them book nothing and let the consequences fall on my lap.
Because we have such different expectations of my role and obligations, I cannot see this ending well. Please, please, please let me know if there is any way to salvage this and give me enough time to offer the incoming guest a room that is up to my standards of cleanliness. Thanks!!!!!!
18 Replies 18

I have guests leaving at 10am & new guests checking in at 4pm. I only had people overstay past check out because I was visiting with them. I didn't make that mistake again. Now I reiterate several times what time check out is before arrival & again when they arrive, the day of departure try to say something along the lines of, I'm sorry, I wish you could stay later, I enjoyed meeting you but... I have to clean up before my new guests arrive, have a safe trip home, enjoy the rest of your trip, etc.

@Marisha0 wrote:

Linda, Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to write such a detailed response!  I initially had the listing set to leave a day in between and then the reservations that came in seemed to ignore it- I will go back through my listing and see whether I can fix this.  I honestly think you're right and that this is the only way to spare everyone, guests included, a lot of extra stress.  

With all of my other guests, our roles seemed pretty clear and we all got on fine.  These guests didn't seem to have the same sense of Air BnB etiquette and I didn't know how to say no, especially when they initially seemed so helpless.  And then any attempt to say no resulted in them acting all butt hurt or just going on to ignore what I'd asked.  I realized that I have treat this like a business for the good of everyone involved.  

Thanks again, Marisha 

Rosemary18
Level 5
Madison, VA

Hi Marisha, Sorry that you had to deal with those troublesome guests. I've read things like this happening a lot when there is one room rented or when owner is not in the rental building. Is there some way that you can lock away things in areas that the guests do not have access to ? I've learned not to be too kind if you know what I mean and to set limits in details of your description. 

Rosemary, Thanks so much for taking the time to read and respond.  I don't currently have a safe deposit box or anything, and I though that doing things like hiding power cords seemed aggressive somehow, but rethinking this all...  It's a learning curve! 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Marisha0

Start learning to regard your rental as a business. You offer a certain service, but not automatically more. Somebody want you to give them a tour, tell them it takes you away from your work, but you offer tours to guests who want them for $$xx an hour. Then agree on an amount, change the reservation accordingly and have them accept it before taking a step out of the house. Lame excuse offered for later payment, I'd be doubtful there'll be any money coming.

What shocked me was that you gave them access to your computer. I would never do that or remain beside them. 

Still, I'd tell them, sorry, I can look up a couple of things for you if necessary, but please understand I don't feel comfortable principally letting somebody else work on it. Do internet cafes still exist? maybe have the address of the closest one handy.

I'd also want to be able to lock my personal doors if I were you.