How do I find if my city has a booking limit per year?

Howard30
Level 2
Lexington, KY

How do I find if my city has a booking limit per year?

From my reading of local law, a host can only have 52 bookings per year in my city.  Essentially one booking a week. This would make hosting a single room in my home unprofitable, and not worth the effort. Am I reading the law correctly? I realize that some cities don’t allow Airbnb at all. But, there are many similar listings in my town, Lexington, Ky.  They must not be following the rules(laws). Likely they are ignorant of this city law or I am mistaken about the 52 booking limit.  I appreciate any response that can clarify.  Thanks!

3 Replies 3

@Howard30 the law says that during any given week a room/home can only be rented for one booking. While that does mean a maximum of 52 bookings, you do not just get 52 bookings.

For instance, if you rent your room for 4 weeks to one person, there are only 48 weeks left in the year, so you will only get 48 more possible bookings, and your maximum bookings will be 49.

Pretty much you can ignore the "52".

There is a maximum of one booking in any given week. That's the rule.

I have no idea what is going on with the other listings.

If someone books a long weekend of three nights ;well then that's one booking. 🙂

Kevin1244
Level 2
Lexington, KY

Have you solved this problem? I live here in Lexington and want to host, but this ordinance is a deal-breaker. I'm currently researching this problem and would greatly appreciate it if you could share any updates on what you have learned. 

Also, did you know that there is a Facebook group for Lexington Airbnb hosts at https://www.facebook.com/groups/307872940062173/ ? I have tried to join that group, but I'm not getting any responses to my membership request, perhaps because I am not yet a host. If you could get into that group, you might find some help there.