How do I get access to unused travel credit?

Alex6883
Level 2
Chicago, IL

How do I get access to unused travel credit?

I had a COVID related cancellation in March and took the full refund through travel credits offered. In the email confirming the travel credits issued, the email states that there are Travel Credit Terms and Conditions. Within those terms "it states "If any portion of the Travel Credit is not used in your next booking, you may be required to contact Airbnb customer support to re-activate the unused portion of the Travel Credit." I used about 1/3 of the travel credit for a new booking. I contacted Airbnb support about getting back the remainder of the travel credit so I can use it in another booking.

But now my case manager states that he can't do anything because he saw that i paid WITH A COUPON??? There were no indications to me that what I received was a coupon, and I did not have to enter any code to redeem the travel credits. 

This can't possibly be standard protocol with Airbnb right? Is this how they're holding onto cashflow for their IPO? 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Alex6883 Try Twitter or just call again and see if you get a better customer support operator

I've done both! Unfortunately they've shut down the phone lines to everyone except people w/ reservations 3 days out. 

The Forum post was hopefully to get more Airbnb eyes on this issue and maybe other people have had problems with this as well. On Reddit there were people experiencing similar bugs w/ their travel credits. 

@Alex6883 

The fact is - they don't want to give you your full refund. That's how their financial model works, it's based on not all guests claiming their vouchers and then, the full voucher amount not being refunded.

Not only that - Hosts are financing cancellations that were made by guests from other bookings when hosts have never even been paid by Airbnb for those cancelled bookings.

In answer to your question:

This can't possibly be standard protocol with Airbnb right? Is this how they're holding onto cashflow for their IPO? 

YES. You got it in one.

@Mike-And-Jane0 

What evidence is there that Twitter is generating ANY results? I'll tell you what... There is none.

Twitter is auto botting problems back to posters insisting they send their log in email, again and again, enquiries come here to the CC then get bounced back to Twitter in a game of inept corporate ping - pong.

Customer support is appalling and inept.

Show me your evidence. Mine's ready.