How do I make a Formal Complaint to Airbnb?

Helen2404
Level 3
London, United Kingdom

There are many Airbnb help support centre threads about this deceptive, abusive, threatening behaviour, third-party booking requests, UK Covid Travel Quarantine booking requests, How to make a Formal Complaint to Airbnb. All have been closed by Airbnb.   

Fellow Hosts please help,

How do I make a Formal Complaint to Airbnb? I have been asking for help for a month and asking how to make a Formal Complaint for a week.

I have received Airbnb’s email warning me to be a better host and improve my hosting. ‘Improve your ratings to keep your listing active’.

I am very disappointed that what I have suffered, threats, abuse and deception with the last guest as documented in their messages to me and mine to Airbnb but that the situation was allowed to stand by Airbnb.

In the circumstances I don’t think the guest’s review has any relevance to my otherwise excellent track record with Airbnb.

In the circumstances I’d expect to be supported by Airbnb instead I have been variously pestered, unsupported, then thanked and praised and then now ignored. Its nice to be thanked privately by Airbnb staff for my patience, calm and strength but it in fact does nothing to support me practically. I was afraid for my family, my other Airbnb guest moved to stay with a friend and the situation brought me great worry.

Regarding Covid Government Travel Quarantine in the UK Airbnb seems to have no updated policy and I have again been penalised for wishing to protect my family, friends and school bubble by Airbnb for not accepting these bookings. I would mark my listings unsafe for government quarantine but Airbnb say thats prejudice.

Regarding third - party bookings, I have been again totally unsupported on this matter having flagged it up again and again and once more have been penalised for not taking third party unverified and unnamed guest bookings.

My social network and other Airbnb guests have been appalled at my lack of support from Airbnb. Surely there is a complaints procedure. 

Its laughable that Airbnb replies to tweets saying Airbnb will get back to me or has got back to me this week about how to make a formal complaint but then do not follow up. I guess it makes the general public think you are replying? What a ugly process.

Without support where Airbnb takes some sort of action to protect hosts there will be, sooner or later another unpleasant situation which will in fact turn dangerous or fatal.

With this lack of support being I’m beginning to read usual, guests are more and more aware that there is no come back on them for bad and dangerous behaviour. I now see why my guest thought it appropriate to threaten me with “a bad review to shut my business down.” They seemed to know it would stand even on day two of her month long stay.

I will not let this drop until I have made a Formal Complaint as I have been firstly deceived, threatened and  abuse in my own home which made me very unwell. The next day I lost my voice. But then I am deeply worried for other peoples safety as well as mine and my family’s  that having flagged these situations Airbnb has done nothing.

Finally I received an email from Airbnb warning me to, ‘Improve your ratings to keep your listing active’ which proves how little my frightening experience is regarded by Airbnb.  

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen2404 I do not believe you can make any type of complaint let alone a formal one. IF you have suffered a financial loss you could take Airbnb to the small claims court but I suspect this is not the case.

At the end of the day your only recourse is probably to leave the platform.

I do not think Airbnb is regulated in any meaningful way in the UK.

@Mike-And-Jane0  How is it legal for an organisation big or medium size not to have an official complaints procedure?
How can Airbnb not be regulated? I am baffled. I also find it a bit frightening that this is how Airbnb can work. Something really bad is going to happen to someone sooner or later. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Helen2404 As with any company you can take them to court if you have suffered a loss. Unless it is a clear cut financial loss then you would need to go through the mainstream court system which will cost a lot with potentially a low chance of success. I don't think you can sue over something that might happen.