How do I read reviews of prospective renters that they have left for other hosts before accepting?

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

How do I read reviews of prospective renters that they have left for other hosts before accepting?

Hello,

I just got my first bad review, and it is so different from all of my other reviews that it got me thinking. I am wondering if there is any way to spot the chronic complainers or guests who always leave lower reviews? I know that you can read reviews about that person, but can you read reviews that they wrote about other people, whether they are hosts or guests? I addressed all of her complaints in the public response (which ironically enough, was left in her name but she actually used her account to rent to an older couple, possibly her parents?) but I know that some people are just unhappy with everything. Hopefully, future guests will read other reviews and see that this one review is an anomaly.

13 Replies 13
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hey @Leslie7 Yes, you can look at reviews that guests have left for other hosts by clicking on the profile picture of the host that gave the review.  I've done this too.  🙂  Actually for a different reason:  I wanted to see what type of listing they stayed at. 

Also, if this guest was a 3rd party to the reservation, i.e. they booked for someone else, you can ask Airbnb to delete it since the booking person never actually stayed.  Here's what Airbnb has to say about review guidelines: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/262/what-are-airbnb-s-review-guidelines

The very first bullet point fits your situation.  Here's a link to help you contact Airbnb:

Thank you, it worked! They took it down! I tried clicking on profile pics of upcoming guests to see what other reviews they have done, but still can't figure it out. Maybe it doesn't work from a mobile?
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Leslie7 Yes, I always try to check out their reviews of prior hosts. It can give you a good idea of what kind of review to expect.

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I check their reviews as well, although it can be a lot of time-consuming investigating sometimes...

Wow. I was curious, so I read Hayley's review of you, and then of a host in Canada. It may make you feel better that that review was even nastier (and for a host that got great reviews, and left a nice review for Hayley). It had the same style: nice thing, then lots of really damaging complaints, worse than yours (I thought of quoting but don't know if that's kosher).

I'll bet she does this every time. 

Given this repeat behavior, I personally think you should contact AirBnB, complain formally about Hayley booking for other people, and have the review taken down. I think though you probably can't change your review, you can make a private comment to AirBnB at least. I would hate to have her as a guest—it seems like this is some strange compulsion on her part to cut down nice places—and I don't think she should be allowed to keep doing this to hosts. After reading this, I would try to check a review from anyone booking--but I use Instant Book. AirBnB flagging her for booking for someone else would at least prevent her from instant booking for anyone who checks the "only recommended guests" box, I would hope.

Thank you so much to everyone. Airbnb took the review down, because third party booking is a violation. You cannot write a review of a place where you didn't stay (sensibly). I still can't figure out how to read other reviews left by certain people. How did you find Hayley's other review? I would love a step by step, if anyone has time. Thanks for the kind words Miranda, it does make me feel a lot better! I can't imagine why anyone would do that. So nasty!

@Leslie7 it's not that hard, although it takes a little time to search.  When you see her review by a host, look at that host's profile and find his listing, than search for her review. And so with each and every host she reviewed.

Shaz1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Thanks for the help on here - I've found it useful too.

I'm still trying to work out how to see what type of reviews a propective guest has been left by other hosts in the past.

I click on each person's profile picture & it only tells me if they've been verified or not & has most of their phone number blocked out.

Does this mean they have not received any reviews or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Many thanks

Shaz

how do i check to see what hosts have had to say about client and vice versa  - 

I thought this thread would answer my question because other people asked the same one. But it does not.  Specifically, how can you view reviews of a potential guest by former hosts BEFORE you accept a reservation?  I can only access that info AFTER I accept the reservation.

@Kathleen206 I can see reviews left by hosts when clicking on the guest's profile picture in my messages inbox.  The only one I can't see is my review for my last guest who hasn't left a review for me yet.  Since today is the 14th day, I imagine that my review will be made public tomorrow.  That said, Airbnb is now showing that I gave him a "Thumbs Up" but my written review will show later. 

I check reviews prior to accepting this way.  You should be able to see past reviews on the app as well. 

What kind of device are you using?  If you are using a web browser, which one?

Jeff-And-Mary0
Level 2
Oconomowoc, WI

I have and continue to have the same problem.

I have been a member long enough to know 'how' reviews work, how they 'have' worked and they 'should' work. However, AirBnB keeps changing the site and I have to go on an scavenger hunt to find whatever I am looking for ...evertime they change.

So, "Where" and how do I find previous reviews of guests requesting to stay now " ???? !!!!

It does not, and has not been available on my previous prospective guest.

Truth be told, the entire site needs to be more intuitive for hosts !!

The pages may be considered 'pretty' but it a mixed bag of web desighners ideas and needs to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Wouldn't you think, that one could get to all major headings under 'Dashboard' ??

( Sorry for expressing my frustration )

Cor3
Level 10
Langerak, South Holland, Netherlands

Hi @Jeff-And-Mary0,

Here is a small tutorial (Remember it can be a lengthy and time-consuming job, especially when persons have stayed at hosts/locations with a lot of reviews!):

1. Click on the profile picture of the guest – in your inbox.
  2. Next to the guest, you will see the hosts – this guest has reviews from (When they already have reviews – by other hosts. ‘Newbies’ will not have any of those!)
    Click the profile picture of the 1st host in the review list (and repeat this step for all hosts, this guest has a review from).
  3. Now find the name of your guest (Please note: it can be that the guest did not leave a review).
    And you might also have to expand the list of all reviews, by pressing: View more.