How do I set up an auto-reply?

Jo59
Level 1
British Columbia, Canada

How do I set up an auto-reply?

I'm often working out of town in the summer - with no internet or cell phone for a few days at a time - I can't respond to guests within 24 hours, and it negatively impacts my rating. Does anyone know how I can set it to send an auto-reply with a date that I'll be able to get back to them?

19 Replies 19
Paul4
Level 10
Kiawah Island, SC

I do not think this is built in to Airbnb. You could set up a completely separate Gmail account just for Airbnb and program it to auto respond with your 'away' message when you are away.  Other email accounts and programs probably have this as well. Then turn off the auto respond message when you get back in town...

hi, could you confirm if it will work with gmail. i have tested several hours with gmail and it just doesn't work with either canned message or Vacation responder function.

It works if you could program.

The core idea is adding a webhook to a Gmail to reply the email automatically.

)Can you program? Let me know. Maybe I have a job for you:

There are a few services out there that do what you want but by accessing the airbnb api.  I've been using http://superhosttools.com for ove a year now and couldn't be happier.  You can even set a delay to your messages and it won't send a responce to your inquires if you've already pre-appoved them. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jo59

If you are going to not be able to react within 24h, you'll run the risk of having your response time negatively impacted as well as any dates for booking requests not accepted or declined within 24h blocked on your calendar as penalty.

Better 'snooze' your listing. 

Go to edit listing => bottom of right side menu under 'listed' you'll find a drop-down menu where you can fill in how long you want the listing snoozed (not visible on site).

Jo59
Level 1
British Columbia, Canada

Thank you! I didn't know about that, that's super handy.

Erela0
Level 1
Jerusalem, Israel

This is frustrating. I'm going to travel and would like people who book to know that it might take me a bit more time than usual to reply. I do not want to snooze my listing, nor do I want to turn on instant booking. Is there any other solution?

Anne298
Level 1
Bungalow, Australia

I'm in the same boat.  If I use snooze, will this override automatic  booking?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Erela0 @Anne298

If you aren't available to manage your listing, then have a friend or family member you trust to co-host so you can respond promptly. You can then pay them a percentage of bookings they help manage for you.

Agree with Helen. It is extremely frustrating to guests to have to wait for responses. 

I also travel a lot and go to extreme lengths to be sure that inquiries are responded to promptly.

Setting up an auto response to the initial inquiry is very difficult because of the way the Airbnb messaging servive interacts with email. I suspect they designed is just so to make auto responses difficult. 

At a minimum hire someone to monitor the account and send a basic reply.

Keith

Inna11
Level 2
Kiev, Ukraine

If it’s not too late to give an advice I would recommend AirGMS Vacation Management Software that has the features that exactly what you need. AirGMS has templates for your communication with guests and sends auto replies immediately, therefore, improves your reputation as a host.

Moreover,  the features include multi-platform and calendar synchronization, managing cleaning services.

Give it a try with 14-days free trial on airgms.com and you'll figure if that's what you are looking for.

Thanks for the Advice Inna. Have you been using that Airgms service your self? I went on the web site they seem to offer a lot of interesting features.

Hi Marc, 

I am working at AirGMS and know the product from inside out. So, I will definitely recommend you a free trial to check out for yourself. Or we can schedule a free product demonstration for you to show around the system. 

Let me know if you need any assistance or advice. 

Cheers, 

Inna